Clotheslines

Yep, talk about it here

Moderator: matt walker

Clotheslines

Postby matt walker » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Anyone use one? I'm wondering about the usefulness in areas like mine with a lot of moisture and not much solar. I'm thinking I'll give one a try this summer and see how it goes, but I'd love to hear about your experiences with 'em.
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Clotheslines

Postby the north wind » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:53 pm

I meant to tell you that the clothesline we have is this retractable dude. It's nice for us, because it takes up less space, and like you, we can't use the clothesline all year. Unlike you, we don't have a ton of space, so it might not be necessary for you do get a retractable. Anyway, I think you are going to be stoked on hang drying once you get the... you know... hang of it.
the north wind

Postby matt walker » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Is there supposed to be a link there? Anyway, thanks for the info my friend. I know it seems silly, but growing up my family never used one, and I just wondered about the usefulness in this climate. I'm going to switch over, I do have enough room inside upstairs to set one up, I just need to commit.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:41 pm

I never used one, and my family did not have one growing up. My Middle son used one when he lived in Up State NY, it was on a pully system so his wife could stand on the porch and hang the stuff on the line and pull it out for the next thing. It worked great for them. The other end was fasened to a tree fairly high up, so the line did not hang down as much and was not in your face as much as you walked around the yard. My Mother in Law had one in their back yard. Two metal posts with a T on them for the 4 lines to hang from. It was not as high and needed poles to prop it up from the ground so that the stuff did not hit the ground as it dried. Either way works well here in Pa, can not comment about your area.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:47 pm

I used clothesline extensively until the late 70's and loved them most of the time. IMO, having good breeze is more important than sunlight to the drying process. In cold weather they are the pits, and two weeks of rain will make you run around naked. ;)

Other than that, the smell of fresh air dried clothes is wonderful. Yes, the clothing is wrinkled, but not like something that sat in the dryer and wrinkled as it cooled. You can get pant stretchers to give your denims and chinos a fresh pressed look.

I'll be setting up T-posts at the farm as soon as I get some help to lift them into place. Someone recently offered me another set that I might want to erect here at the house.
Lollykoko

Postby lonv166 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:54 pm

I've been looking for a retractable here (Philippines) but so far no luck. My folks had one in the 60's, and it would suit us here. We are on a ridge, bright sunshine and relatively strong breezes all year. Takes about 30-40 minutes to dry a wrung-out t-shirt.
lonv166

Postby dave brenneman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:22 am

we have a folding rack that goes in the closet when not in use. It can be pretty damp here; if the clothes are drying slowly I'll put a space heater by the rack and turn that on for a bit.
dave brenneman

Postby boo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 am

I'm with Lollykoko on the "breeze" being the most important point when using a clothesline. The sun is nice to dry your clothes but too much on a really hot day and everything will become "stiff and crunchy" and it's not nice to use a "crunchy towel" to dry yourself with after a shower :shock:
boo

Return to Permsteading!