Kansas wants to prohibit state funding for sustainability?

Yep, talk about it here

Moderator: matt walker

Kansas wants to prohibit state funding for sustainability?

Postby dave brenneman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:54 am

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-0 ... ility.html

Now the state’s “Committee on Energy and Environment” is proposing a law that would prohibit spending on anything that won’t set Kansas on a course to self-destruction. House Bill No. 2366 would ban all state and municipal funds for anything related to “sustainable development,” which it defines as: “development in which resource use aims to meet human needs while preserving the environment so that these needs can be met not only in the present, but also for generations to come."
dave brenneman

Re: Kansas wants to prohibit state funding for sustainabilit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:29 pm

What?????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I mean WHAT !!!!!!! That is unbelievable. It has not passes into law as yet, but this is the kind of thing that makes your head spin.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 pm

I lifted this quote from the article as well ...
Kansas has the wind-energy potential of 3,102 terawatt hours a year, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. That’s about 80 percent of the annual electricity consumption of the entire United States. If Kansas developed just a tiny fraction of that -- 7,158 megawatts -- by 2030, it would provide economic benefits of about $7.8 billion for the state, according to the Energy Department’s National Renewable Energy Lab. And it would do so without contributing to the global warming that’s frying the state’s wheat and corn and pushing America’s breadbasket north.

It's almost enough to make you think that for profit utility companies are writing state laws these days!
Lollykoko

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Good. Let's sit back and watch 'em fall. The permies will be ok. It's gettin crowded up in here anyway.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby dave brenneman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:57 am

Yeah, I was a little surprised. The original headline I saw for this story was a little more sensational and less accurate - KANSAS BANS SUSTAINABILITY - but the reality does seem just as short-sighted. I don't know how wind-energy potential is calculated, exactly - what sort of wind-farm density are they talking about?

According to google calculator,

3102 terawatts = 3 102 000 000 megawatts

so if my math is right, we're talking about 7,158 megawatts, which would be 0.00023075435% of that potential wind energy Lollykoko mentioned. I looked at the wikipedia article about wind power in Kansas. It's very interesting. According to what they say there, Kansas has made some strides in the direction of renewable energy. Well, baby steps, anyway. So it does make me wonder about the motivation for this proposed bill.
dave brenneman

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Special Interests, that is the motivation, special interests. Gas and oil, maintaining the status quota.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:54 pm

I was talking about this article with my friend Charlotte last night, and she just couldn't understand how/why a governmental body would write legislation of this type. Well, I don't understand the reasons why either, except to leave the field wide open for private business.

My community has been making a lot of infrastructure changes over the past few years. There is a "superfund" site that was given to the city years ago when the steel mill located there closed down and was later destroyed. The town council gave the go-ahead to construct three windmills on the site. They aren't extremely large (like the ones used in large wind farms) but seem to be spinning almost constantly. I'll be looking for information on how much of the city government power usage they offset, and get back to you if/when I find something.
Lollykoko

Postby dave brenneman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Well, I don't understand the reasons why either, except to leave the field wide open for private business.

That was kind of my thought, although it's not based on anything besides my own preconceived notions...
dave brenneman

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Even the power companies know that their days are numbered. http://grist.org/climate-energy/solar-panels-could-destroy-u-s-utilities-according-to-u-s-utilities/
Solar panels could destroy U.S. utilities, according to U.S. utilities
Solar power and other distributed renewable energy technologies could lay waste to U.S. power utilities and burn the utility business model, which has remained virtually unchanged for a century, to the ground.

That is not wild-eyed hippie talk. It is the assessment of the utilities themselves.

Back in January, the Edison Electric Institute — the (typically stodgy and backward-looking) trade group of U.S. investor-owned utilities — released a report [PDF] that, as far as I can tell, went almost entirely without notice in the press. That’s a shame. It is one of the most prescient and brutally frank things I’ve ever read about the power sector. It is a rare thing to hear an industry tell the tale of its own incipient obsolescence. ...

The question that Charlotte and I were kicking around, was whether a like minded group of homeowners in a central location could pool their funds and set up a co-operative company, if they did it without asking the state for a loan or tax rebates.
Lollykoko

Return to Permsteading!