Chickens

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Chickens

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 pm

No Good Deed goes unpunished, lol, Thanks for the story, it brought a smile to my face. Its Great when we can laugh at ourselves. :lol: I am laughing WITH You, ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby lonv166 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Ha! Good answer Matt!
I am kinda against chickens here where I live. Everyone has them, and they are all free range. But, free range here doesn't really compute. Free range means that there are no actions taken whatsoever to ensure good free range. Consequently free range chickens tend to follow behind dogs, caribou and the odd cow. I have chosen not to eat local chickens.
However, I could be persuaded to attempt caged - sorry, not shoeboxed - chickens. Having only eaten chickens, I don't know what to do. All suggestions will be helpful.
lonv166

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Lon, have you seen anything about Joel Salatin and his pasturing methods? http://www.polyfacefarms.com/
Lollykoko

Postby lonv166 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:27 am

Lolly, have now! Thanks.
lonv166

Postby matt walker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:55 pm

My chickens are driving my CRAZY! I've killed and eaten a few of the worst offenders, who won't stay out of the yard no matter what, but still....aaaarrrrrggghh. I've read about clipping their wings, I've read about netting, and I've had no luck with either. I don't want to contain them in a coop permanently. I like that they follow the cows and sheep around, and I love their eggs. But still, aaarrrrgghhh! I don't know if there is a solution, but I needed to vent. Thanks y'all.

At least it gives my terrier something to do, she knows they are not allowed in the yard and does a pretty good job of chasing them out, but it usually takes my swearing loudly a few times before she realizes they are there.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Haha! Sorry, not to laugh at your predicament, Matt. I've given up on those stupid birds several times and keep finding myself with a bunch. I like that they eat the bugs but them little bastards get in my garden and poop all over my yard and porch.

I've had really good luck with them this year, though. The little door on my chicken house for the birds to enter and exit opens into my pig pasture. The pig pasture has a hot wire running around the perimeter 6" off the ground. My birds won't fly over it either, but maybe it's just this specific breed.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:02 pm

That sounds like a great set up Manny. I keep putting off building a full on containment scheme since I love having them out in the pastures with the other critters, but I'm starting to think I need to do something.

Of course, right after I wrote that I went out and found one of my broody hens had a new clutch of seven or so cruising around the pasture. MORE chickens! Aaaarrrrrggghh. Geez, they are so cute though.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Congratulations Matt, More chickens, More Chickens, :lol: Isn't that Lovely. Of course if you have too many there is always the stew pot. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:09 am

Matt, it sounds like it's time for a chicken tractor.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:14 pm

It is Lolly, it is. I do have one, or two actually. I just have way too many chickens to fit. I need one of those giant ones now, or less chickens. I'm going to work on he latter first.
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Members' 'steads