[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Book reccomendations

Book reccomendations

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Book reccomendations

Postby missusmlaargh » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:27 pm

I'm reading In Defense of Food (Micheal Pollan) for the second time. It mainly focuses on how, as a nation, we've lost touch as "eaters". Anyone read any other good books in this genre, or in general?

Another book I really like that Matt turned me onto, is Vegetable Gardening West of the Cascades. Did he write one for fruit gardening, Matt?
I have big plans for a "fruit section" this spring.
missusmlaargh

Re: Book reccomendations

Postby matt walker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:44 pm

I am not sure about a fruit book by Steve, but I encourage you to get some more fruits going there. I think I remember you talking about strawberries, and having success with those. Maybe a fruit thread is in order?

As for books, I've been inspired by Eliot Coleman's Four-Season Harvest this winter. Yesterday I harvested leeks, brussel sprouts, celery, potatoes, beets, kale, and believe it or not baby mustard greens. I've still got cabbage in the garden as well. So satisfying to have fresh greens this time of year. His book really inspired me, although a lot of his techniques are for much colder, but sunnier, climates than mine.

For cooking, I've been enjoying Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "River Cottage Cookbook" and "Meat." They both really appeal to my home grown and foraged sensibilities. The Meat one might not apply to a vegetarian though. :)

Ianto Evan's "The Hand Sculpted House" and "Rocket Mass Heaters" are both on my coffee table right now, and I'm really inspired by those.

As always, "The Self Sufficient Life and How to LIve It" by John Seymour is fantastic. Seriously, a must have.

I always love reading Louis Broomfield. I found Malabar Farm at a thrift store, and have been inspired ever since. He was so ahead of his time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Bromfield

I'll come up with some more, I'm sure.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:47 am

I recently made a trip to the library. My reading material includes Earth Ponds by Matson and a book on Passive Solar Design. It's in the other room and I don't remember the author's name at the moment.

The book on ponds is helping me to determine what usage I am looking for from a pond, in what location.
Lollykoko

Postby dave brenneman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:26 pm

I'm currently reading Wildwood by Roger Deakin. Deakin helped found Common Ground - a UK charity that "is internationally recognised for playing a unique role in the arts and environmental fields, distinguished by the linking of nature with culture, focussing upon the positive investment people can make in their own localities, championing popular democratic involvement, and by inspiring celebration as a starting point for action to improve the quality of our everyday places. "

Deakin writes about wood, in various uses - from willow benders in a low-impact community, to the walnut panelling in Jaguar cars, to airplane propellers, to the salvaged materials of his writing desk - in such a way that you're inspired to do a bit of carpentry yourself, as soon as you finish this next chapter... okay, the one after that...

Deakin lived in a moated Elizabethan house in Suffolk, and wrote about the place with such affection that I seriously considered a move to that part of the country. Notes from Walnut Tree Farm was the first book of his that I read. it's shorter journal entries, rather than the essay-length bits in Wildwood. They're both worth checking out.
dave brenneman

Postby matt walker » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:07 am

Okay, Deakin sounds like a must read. On my way to Amazon.

Has anyone else read any Broomfield? I am guessing he may not be too popular nowadays, but I don't know. His writing style is really pleasing to me, and I love that he was part of the Lost Generation. He brings a new perspective to that movement for me.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby CJ in VT » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:16 am

CJ in VT

Postby matt walker » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:30 am

I haven't read either of those CJ. I'm familiar with the Nearings, just haven't found myself a copy yet. I'll check 'em both out.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Have any of you guys read Wendel Berrys " The Way of Ignorance and other essays " My oldest son handed me a copy this weekend and I read several of the essays. I truely liked the one about Renewing Husbandry as well as the one titled " Agriculture from the Roots Up" . I am not a reader, I do not read much of anything, but I did enjoy Wendel Berrys insights as well as his writting style. The book carries alot of political stuff as well, I have not read much of those essays, but a couple that I did enjoy. Agreeing with Mr Berry is not a requierment for enjoyiong his writting. I think you will find him an interesting read.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby chachi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 pm

i have been loving "a pattern language" by alexander et al., that a couple of people here recommended. i live the wholistic approach to life, even if some of the aspects don't really apply to me or are things i can't change. at least right now.
chachi

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 pm

I found Homemade Contrivances at a farm store a couple of years ago and have enjoyed the ideas it shares. All solutions are pre-petroleum!! :D Most can be done with basic items that are readily available. The drawings are handy and would have been more than enough information at the original printing ... 1897.
Lollykoko

Next

Return to Members' 'steads