[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Lemicha's Aussie Place SANDPIT rocket heater n sculpture

Lemicha's Aussie Place SANDPIT rocket heater n sculpture

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Lemicha's Aussie Place SANDPIT rocket heater n sculptu

Postby Lemicha » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:56 am

Someone else's opinion of you does not have to become your reality.
Dream like a child...Plan like an adult
Lemicha

Postby Lemicha » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:00 am

Lemicha

Postby GrahamB » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Wow! That is a big job you have there. I can't wait to see the finished product... but again nor can you I suppose. I love the colors of the clay and stones. They really look good together. Lemicha please keep us posted on this, as I am trying to formulate a design in my head and I'm now stealing ideas from you and Matt.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby Lemicha » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:34 am

Lemicha

Postby Lemicha » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:59 am

26th June 2012
1 I have rubbed the gravel over a bit with my hands separating the larger pieces from it to use it for gravel at the base of the wall. It has been raining on and off so it is still too sticky to work with yet.
2 In this picture I have come back after an hour or so. The mixture is already setting and drying. The day is cold but the sunshine heating the metal of the wheelbarrow is making the process faster. This was from my first mix. I mixed this into my next batch… You can see the dryer parts as light grey/ off white coloured.

27th June 2012
3 & 4 By pressing my finger into it, shows me the ratio of sand, clay and sawdust in the mixture. It also shows me how fast it dries. It also shows how it is already keeping to its shape/structure, yet still able to be shaped…just…without crumbling.

27th June 2012
5 & 6 I’m experimenting with the different mixes. These are base layers that include a lot of sawdust for burning out and leaving air-pockets. And if they don’t burn out then they will dry and shrink as the water leaves and again leave air-pockets. Either way it should work. This whole area inside the bench is going to be coated in a mixture with a very high sand content. I am hoping that this hardens and changes form with heat added to create a texture akin to fireclay/fire bricks. I have thought of coating the bottom with sand and laying hot coals or building a hot fire within the cavity to ‘fire’ the coating to make it harder.
Whether I end up doing the whole cavity this way or just the burn area…I’ll decide that when I get to it.

27th June 2012
7 A couple of different mixes here... It goes on fast once you get going. I am standing near the wheelbarrow load and taking handfuls and throwing it at the rocks. This way the force is pushing the mixture into all the little crevices.
8 Shrinkage from previous mixture drying and pulling away from the rock.

27th June 2012
9 Not as much shrinkage here...
10 Looking down...

27th June 2012
11 My first mix is drying and looking really nice. I've started to place some flat sided rocks inside the bench to guide the airflow around...
12 Its coming together...from here you can see how far away I am throwing the handfuls from...I decided to leave the surface rough so the next layer will attach better.

27th June 2012
13 The next batch I made in my cement mixer. I have got to say that you can make it much faster this way and its much easier to make a larger batch. I pat it down, unfortunately I worked rather fast as my time was running out. (My little one would be awake soon and my time would be taken elsewhere) I am kicking myself at not taking more progress pictures. To finish for the day I poked my fingers all over so the next layer would hold with no problems.
14 As you can see the base bulges more. It wasn't due to the weight of the cob. I made it this way to setup the next stage. This gives me a more solid base to work on.

27th June 2012
15 You can see the curve better in this picture. Also the areas divided...I'm still ticking on how it will go. In regards to the central wall within the bench, I don't know if I will have the rock bare or covered over. Probably covered...
16 And the view inside at a different angle.

27th June 2012
17 You can see the real thickness here...
18 A closer look!

27th June 2012
19 & 20 Different views to see the shape and structure, plus the surrounding garden.

27th June 2012
21 & 22 Taking a few steps back to show more. As the design forms and comes together, I am mindful of what I want to see in the garden and what I do and dont want obscured from view.
Lemicha

Postby boo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:43 pm

Lemicha - your cob/sandpit construction is really good. I know that you've got your hands full with the little ones but I think your project is fascinating and I'd love to see some more pictures of how it's progressing.
boo

Postby Lemicha » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Its on its way Boo...yes I am very busy and have been working out how to do the next one over the last few weeks in between all the other interruptions and working on the outside. I have so many pics that I think it will be just filling pages...it is also a bit overwhelming to look through as there are many different parts that I am doing at the same time. The whole area needed to be done and its easier to do it as a whole in layers. Meaning all foundation and drainage done at the same time. I'm also drawing plans and sketches in between it all to work out my next move.
The season is already turning from Winter to Spring. It leaves only a small window of time to work out there comfortably. The temperature on my outdoor thermometer, has actually gone past the 50 C maximum marking (in the shade) in past Summers.
And in between it all I have still managed to toilet train my not yet 2yr old. Thank goodness no more nappies!! LOL

I think I will have to group the pics in areas alone so progress is seen side by side to site appropriate photos...and different pages maybe with a link attached to go between sections.... still ticking LOL

Thanks for interest Boo! :D
Lemicha

Postby matt walker » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 pm

It's a wonderful project Lemicha, and your ambition is seriously inspiring. I love looking at the photos and seeing you "ticking" away through your work. You'll have a fire breathing dragon in no time!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lemicha » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks Matt!! Feel free to go through the flickr pics...there are many and they are in order of date taken. I still have done more but just haven't uploaded as yet as I filled my free quota when I uploaded last LOL
Its a new month with empty limit again but I have been busy...
Lemicha

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Hi Lemicha, I hope you are doing well with all the heat that your guys have been having this summer and I also hope that the wild fires have missed you. It has been a long time since you posted an update about your project. I would love to know how it has been coming along and see if you have any more pictures to share with us. :D . Looking forward to hearing any up dates. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads