[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Vegetable Root Development

Vegetable Root Development

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Vegetable Root Development

Postby vicj » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:24 am

Vic Johanson

"I must Create a System, or be enslaved by another Man's"--William Blake
vicj

Postby eeldip » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:18 pm

i feel like soil science in general is a practice that is constantly undergoing changes. lots of advice that people give just wastes time and energy.

i was just reading yesterday about a study that concluded that compost tea does less to stimulate soil microbes than synthetic fertilizer.

https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/blogs ... stuff.aspx

(the take-away being, add compost. forget the compost tea. if there is a nutrient problem, add fertilizer.)
eeldip

Postby Lollykoko » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:30 am

Thanks for the article, Eeldip. It's good to know that studies are still rigged to give the response that pays off in contributions from big ag.

They diluted the compost tea. The compost had less microbial life than standard, and the writer of the article thinks they dosage of commercial fertilizer was higher than normal.
Lollykoko

Postby eeldip » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:02 am

no, they used concentrated tea, diluted tea, and fertilizer in three different trials.

compost tea has not held up to study for a long time, this is one of many studies that support that.
eeldip

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:56 am

This is the section that led me to the conclusions I made. Lacking the empirical data from the study, this is all I have to go on.

Quote from article (my bold): “Aerated Compost tea appears INFERIOR [you read that right – inferior] compared to fertilizer in its ability to increase microbial biomass, microbial activity” and a few other things. Hmmm…I’d been told that microbes hated synthetic fertilizer. I guess not all microbes agree. In terms of the fertilizer used, it was a 30-10-7. I didn’t see it explicitly stated in the article, but I’d bet it was a synthetic fertilizer called Arbor Green Pro. It was applied at what I would consider a heavy dose.
Aerated compost tea, or at least the compost tea tested in this article, did contain a significant amount of nutrients.
On the up side for compost tea it was pointed out that compost tea treatments might help a poor soil retain more nitrogen. Maybe…but the authors also pointed out that “only the fertilizer treatment appeared to deliver enough available nitrogen to potentially meet tree needs in the Bt horizon soils” (in other words poorer soils). Interesting – but if we just added compost we’d have a better soil anyway, which brings us to the next point….
The compost tea tested contained only a small portion of the microorganisms that compost does. (end of quote)
Lollykoko

Previous

Return to Members' 'steads