[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Boo's attempt

Boo's attempt

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Boo's attempt

Postby boo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm biting the bullet here and have enquired about doing a PDC at the local "community house". There is an intensive course in June/July which I can't do due to family commitments and study, so I'll have to wait until later on this year to do it part time. The location of the course is only a 40 minute drive away so they deal with the same issues that I have here and it's "hands on" which should jolt me out of my bad habits! I took pa_friendly_guy's advice and chipped away at the rock-hard clay to make little depressions in the ground and then filled them with a mixture of homemade compost and the dug out clay (after I smashed it with a hammer to break up the big chunks) and it seems to be working pretty well (I started some more raspberries in them). We've had cooler days here for the past few weeks but we haven't had much rain at all.
boo

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:59 pm

I would love the opportunity to take a PDC somewhere close to home. I hope you enjoy the experience, Boo.
Lollykoko

Postby boo » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm

I got a lovely surprise today ......I've been working in the garden today (moving stuff around, weeding etc) after we had a couple of rainy days (finally) and I've got almost black soil! Real soil!!
I'll post a picture here of the untreated pale brown clay that is in the unworked area (just to refresh your memory)
and tomorrow I'll post a picture of what my soil looks like now (my guinea pig is earning her keep ;) )
Image (dirt that I made!!)
boo

Postby boo » Sun May 19, 2013 10:33 am

Garden update.......work in progress!

New garden beds

Protected banana

Winter greens

Baby orange tree producing
boo

Postby matt walker » Sun May 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Good work Boo, nice to see our friend the banana tree doing so well!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby boo » Mon May 20, 2013 1:38 am

Yes Matt, it makes a nice change doesn't it! :lol: I've found that the frost cloth works really well (held on to the thin polypipe by a technical device called a clothes peg) because it's so light. I felt so guilty every time it looked like the banana has "expired", but I've had some excellent advice from this forum on how to protect it :D
boo

Postby andrew_k » Mon May 20, 2013 10:19 am

Wow, great work getting that banana happy :)
Who's the PDC through? If Ballarat's not too far away I hear good things about the permie group there.
andrew_k

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon May 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Congrats on the Banana Boo, that is really great work. The soil improvement is startling as well. It is really starting to come along nicely. Keep up the good work, :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby boo » Tue May 21, 2013 2:37 am

boo

Postby boo » Thu May 30, 2013 6:10 am

quick update on the (very slow) progress.....
plus a little indulgence - a native frangipani
boo

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads