A few pictures of my summer projects...

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: A few pictures of my summer projects...

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm

That looks Great Matt. Have you hooked the sink up to the garden hose so that you have running water there? Do you wash veggies there when you pick them? Does the wash water go into a bucket, or just feed the ground in that area? Or do you just bring the hose over to the sink when it is needed?
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:21 am

Thanks Guy! The faucet will be hooked up to the hose, I just need to get a little fitting next time I go to town. I went sailing today instead. There's a bucket under the sink. The sink had an insinkerator so it's got a 3" or so drain hole. It's great, I wash and prep the veggies there, and all the waste can go into the bucket, then to the compost pile. I'm super happy with it.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:51 am

That is just wonderful, Matt. I'm sure that the sink and counter will come in very handy for your outdoor kitchen.

I have a cast iron double sink that someone gave me years ago that is in use at the farm. Like yours, the drain parts were removed, leaving open holes in the bottom where I have always kept buckets. Just recently I found the necessary fittings marked way, way down so I spent the money to be able to hook them to a drain pipe. I want to divert the water to a flower bed without me having to carry a bucket again. Don't understand it, but I'm not getting any younger here!! :lol:
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks a lot Lolly, I am so pleased with this set up. I did my carrot canning prep out there last night and it was just great. I've actually been putting it off because I can't go inside while it's light out and so nice out, so this is really a game changer for me. I'm hoping to plumb the drain to some nearby beds eventually. Oddly enough, I'm not getting any younger either!
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Members' 'steads