Life On The Hill

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Life On The Hill

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:15 pm

I have been kicking around ideas for building the shed. Of course a simple pole building would work well, but I have been thinking straw bale for the side walls. The footer and foundation could be problematic for me. I have always heard that when you build with straw you need good boots and you need a good hat. In other words you need a good strong foundation and a good roof with a large over hangs. Here is a video of a barn shed this guy build for his cows. It does not have much of a footer, it uses thin straw walls covered with cobb, and pole building construction to hold up the roof. It seems cheap, fairly easy, and sturdy enough to hold up for quite a while. What do people think about this design?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGknQhNpF8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Zqsg43WrM
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Here is another idea that uses a basic pole building structure with thin earth bag construction as the in fill for the walls. For your basic shed either one could work for me. Since I was thinking straw bale I kind of liked the 1st idea a little bit better. The floor of either building would be the brick I bought, if I wanted heat I would consider a Rocket Stove, if you guys think the thin plaster would protect the straw from catching fire. I guess I could always add a layer of cement board or bricks around the barrel area as added protection. I don't think the bench area would be a problem.

http://www.naturalbuildingblog.com/thin ... -earthbag/
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:04 pm

My brother in law and I have been discussing the amenities we really want to have available. A place for forging and casting metals is almost as high on the list as a smokehouse. :)

In my job at the factory I became acquainted with many men who were working with metal using older technologies. I seem to remember one of my workmates constructing a foot pedal drop hammer that he took to pioneer reenactments in the area. I have visited one of the reenactments in the northern part of the state on several occasions and am amazed at the sort of things our ancestors did before gasoline engines were part of daily life. Of course they didn't have any time to go to the gym for a workout. :lol:
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 pm

I have not posted much on this thread for awhile, I have been sort of Hibernating inside this winter. Thought you all might enjoy this story on myself. I have never been one to mess with plumbing, when I worked I had a good friend who was a great plumber who I always called when ever something needed fixed. From a leaky commode to a leaking faucet to frozen pipes I just called Mark. Now that I am retired I have more time to mess with things and a lot more time on my hands. So when I saw a leaking faucet the other day I thought to myself " Self, you can fix that yourself " so I went down to the basement and grabbed up all the tool I figured I would need. A couple of screw drivers, a small pipe wrench and a pair of channel lock pliers, and went to fix the faucet. Fist I decided that I should shut off the water, check, next I took off the cap on the plastic handles and unscrewed the Phillips head screw holding it on, check. Next I took the old pipe wrench and started to loosen the nut holding everything together. When the nut finally came loose the water started to shoot to the ceiling. :o Oh my goodness, I thought I had the water shut off. I tried to hold the faucet plug in place and refasten the nut, That of course did not work worth a darn, next I tried, while the water is still pouring out like gang buster, to turn the water off under the sink. I tried one, then the other knob and finally got the water to stop shooting everywhere. Now I tried to wipe up the water, clean myself off and take the 2 rubber washers that I saw attached to the faucet and take them to the local hardware store. My thought was that If I had the washers with me they would help me find the right one. I am after all a Dummy about such things. I bought 2 of every thing so I could replace both sides of the faucet, it cost me $2.50. Back home I went, all ready to be a Hero and get everything fixed. :D Put both sides of the faucet back together and, nothing, no water at all was coming out. Took everything apart again and saw how the water was supposted to flow and put everything back together the right way. :lol: Got the water flowing, but the darn thing still leaked. Oh Poop !!! Took everything apart again and this time I saw a rubber thing at the bottom of where the water came out. Turns out they call that a seat. So back to the hardware store with my newly found part and he tells me that it is Normally the seat when they leak. :o Who Knew, Then he tells me that it could also be the spring. I had not seen a spring when I took out the seat, he assured me that there was one and it might need replaced. So I bought a set with 2 sizes of springs and 2 sizes of seats in it, figuring one of them should work. I again decided to replace both the hot and cold water sides thinking that if one side was worn out the other side couldn't be far behind. Took everything apart for the umteenth time and with a lot of difficulty got the springs to drop in and the rubber seats to press fit into the small hole with my big fingers. Put everything back together and presto, everything worked, the water flowed out, it did not leak, I was indeed a Hero. :lol: I of Course managed to smash my index finger and give myself a painful blood blister in the process. I should not be allowed to own or use tools, it seems that every time I try to use them I hurt myself. :roll: But I saved myself $50, and only drove to the store twice, so I figure I am ahead. :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:22 am

Guy, I have learned that if I'm going to mess with plumbing, it shouldn't be on a day when the Moon is in a fire sign. :lol: Glad to hear you got your problem taken care of, and now have valuable experience to draw upon if it should happen again.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Guy, plumbing drives me absolutely nuts. It's not that it's hard, it's those dang trips to the store. Man that chaps my hide! Good job getting it done, I put that kind of stuff off indefinitely.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:06 pm

It was almost spring like today, I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather to get outside a bit. Picked up some sticks in the yard, not all of them, I didn't work too hard , but the biggest ones that tend to bother the view. Took a strole around the property and made mental notes of all the things I need to do next spring. Went to the garden and checked the garlic I planted last fall that didn't come up. Some of them are now starting to show their heads out of the ground so I may get some garlic after all. Pulled the asparagus ferns that I should have pulled up last fall. Better late than never I suppose. :lol: All in all it was nice to be out side for awhile. :D Next week we are back to winter here, but today it was a Beautiful Day on the Hill. 8-)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 am

I know just what you mean, Guy. We had a day last week that got up to 40*. That was the first and only time we've been above freezing since early December. Everybody was outside. I didn't even go to work! It really fealt good. The sun is getting higher in the sky and much more intense. Spring's got to be coming sooner or later, we've earned it! :D
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:33 pm

It was cold outside here today, but after listening to the song that Silver posted in the hang out I decided it was time for this old man to get outside. :D I picked up 3 cart loads of sticks from the yard, hauled 2 loads of pine branches left by the power company in my yard during the emergency power outage and hauled a load of boxes up to the burn pile. It was a little windy here, not necessarily the best day to burn, but I was out side, and the stuff needed to be cleaned up, so I build a fire with the cardboard and just put the sticks on as I picked them up. It was windy, so I had a little trouble getting the fire started, but as my Dad once said, " I have never failed at burning cardboard boxes ". :lol: I had plugged in the electric car yesterday so it was all charged up. I un-plugged it and put some air in the one tire so it is ready to go. Took time to feed the birds , I have not been as regular with feeding the birds this year, but I like to see them. The squirrels get most of the seeds, but they have to eat too. It was very cold outside with a stiff wind, but it felt good to be out. I think I will pay tomorrow for all that stooping and bending I did , I have been staying in a lot this winter. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Your comment about being good at burning cardboard gave me a good chuckle! Made my day, Guy!

They say the frost depth is 8' around here this year. Breaking water mains, and fracturing roads... 2' deeper than most years. Luckily I haven't had any issues.

I'm always trying to get outside. The grounds too hard to dig cob or build fences so I'm just splitting wood to keep busy and get some fresh (cold) air.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads