Life On The Hill

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Life On The Hill

Postby DevilsBrew » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:35 pm

Sounds like fun. Glad you had a good time, Guy.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby boo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:32 pm

It sounds like a wonderful thing to make time for each year.
boo

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:39 pm

A friend of mine bought several old buildings on Main St, he didn't pay much for them. One he has rented as a Pizza Shop, the other one he is demolishing and will use it as a parking lot temporarily. The building is an old brick building, the out side walls are fired face brick, the inside of the 3 brick thick wall are unfired filler bricks. I went to him this weeks and got a price from him for the face brick. He told me $100 a 1000 for the face brick delivered. I decided to take 5000 bricks. My thought is to make a shed with a brick floor out back in an area that was once a small sand stone quarry. It is level, not many trees to remove, and not that far from the house, all positive features in my mind. It is a little inconvenient to get to though because it is down a steep bank. I felt that it was a good price for the brick, and I should grab them while I had the chance. Even if I don't decide to build the shed, I can use then for a patio, or use then as a floor for a pavilion, or line a path with them, or,,,,,,,well, if I don't build the shed I am open to suggestions. :lol: Any Thoughts??
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:26 pm

I was Brick Girl this last summer. Let's see...Patio, Southern style courtyard, brick oven, wall, bench, raised beds for plants, and keyhole fire pit? I saw a really cool circular fire seating pit heated by a chiminea online recently but can't find the site.

I will never recommend brick for a core of a stove. That is me. I think it sucks up the heat. Zaps the energy. For an oven...awesome.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:33 pm

Excellent price, Guy. I don't suppose he is having them delivered? :lol:

I think I remember the spot you are talking about. If so, it would make a wonderful place for a patio, pergola or pavilion. Just remember that a close placement on the brick will prevent the roots (of surrounding trees) under them getting the amount of moisture they need for continued growth. That leads to the roots coming to the surface, spoiling the level. Maybe a french drain a couple feet outside the brick area would prevent that eventuality.

Inquiring minds want to know what sort of things you would be storing in a shed on the downslope of your property. I'm assuming it would be for tools needed to maintain the pond and keep your paths clear of brambly stuff or fallen branches. I can see where it would be easier than carrying down a rake or clippers 2 ~ 5 days a week.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:53 am

Pond and path upkeep don't normally take me that much time Lolly. Actually my thought was for a Forge, I have an anvil, blower, and several metal working tool, all I need is the forge. Unfortunately I think that is a pipe dream because I don't know if my shoulders could stand the pounding any more. I have always been interested in black smithing and metal work, and I aint getting any younger. :lol: I want to make it the same size as a 2 car garage so my options are open, I have several cars sitting out now, especially since I just bought a PU Truck.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:51 am

Actually, I didn't figure you really spent that much time messing with your paths, pond and woodlands, but it makes a good excuse for a walk. ;)

It would be a great spot for a forge. I'm sure you could rig a drop hammer that would take the pressure off your shoulders. :)
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:52 pm

WOW, a drop hammer, I never heard of that, and I definably never thought of the idea. It sounds like just the ticket for my needs, if I can keep my fingers out of the hammer. :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:11 am

By now you've probably read an article or viewed a couple of YouTube clips, haven't you, Guy? Did you see this one, of a several hundred year old hammer that operates from a flywheel of unknown power source? http://youtu.be/OVmF6Nsf77Q
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:31 am

That looks like a great hammer Lolly. And holding the work with tongs seems to keep your hand back out of the way and safe. I have now looked at several videos and there are some pretty nifty home made designs out there. :)
pa_friendly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads