[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - My Concrete Counter Top project

My Concrete Counter Top project

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: My Concrete Counter Top project

Postby matt walker » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:32 pm

So far lon, I haven't seen a need for that. I've got a sealer of beeswax and mineral oil on 'em, and they are performing pretty much like regular countertops. I haven't seen a need to resurface or anything like that. That said, I am okay with a rough finish, so maybe if you are going for smooth as glass, it might take more work.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:18 pm

OK! Geez, that took a while. I finally finished, actually I'm not totally done. One more little piece to fill in an end section is needed, but it's pretty much finished to me! I am loving these after living with them for the last couple years now. Making bread and pizza and such right on the countertop is really wonderful, I actually kinda wonder how I ever did without it. I ended up tinting the grout the same as the counters, since the fit isn't that great there is plenty of contrast in the seams due to height irregularities, so the same color looks pretty nice. It's definitely rustic, there are blemishes everywhere, but I'm very happy with that look, it fits my style. Blemished. Lol. Anyway, here's a couple pics....

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Looking good, Matt.

I had a question, so paged down through the posts under this reply box and didn't find an answer. Did you use some sort of lubricant as a mold release? I'm thinking specifically of the opening for the sink. Does concrete shrink up enough to make that center core not an issue?
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:05 pm

Lolly, I used mold release I had laying around from my composite boat/surfboard projects over the years. It's just pure Carnuba wax, and goes on just like waxing a car. Apply it, let it dry to a haze, buff. The sink knock out I made out of EPS foam, the blue or pink stuff that comes in big sheets for insulation. I cut it almost all the way in half before pouring so I could just break it out of the finished piece.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Myrth » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:23 am

Very nice! I want to eventually replace the countertops in our kitchen. Your project is inspirational -beautiful!
Myrth

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:57 am

I was hung up on thinking of wood to create that void in the concrete. :oops: Foamed insulation panels make very good sense to use for a core, especially if you had some left over from another project.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:21 pm

Myrth, thanks so much for the kind words. Lolly, that mold making video I posted on the first page of this thread is where I got the inspiration for the foam. I used foam for the outside mold on my outdoor counter just like he did in the video. It's a great technique, took just an hour or so to set up the whole thing and pour.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby SilverFlame819 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:14 am

SilverFlame819

Previous

Return to Members' 'steads