[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - An Illinois 'stead

An Illinois 'stead

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: An Illinois 'stead

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:25 am

Sometimes I think the dreams of spring are the only reason I manage to make it through the reality of winter.

Your dreams sound practical and not too far fetched to accomplish, Myrth.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:14 pm

How strange that the puppy likes the cedars so much. I love the idea of pecans, I sure wish I could grow them here. I'm going to keep trying my propagation experiments Myrth, and if I'm successful I'll set aside a few kiwis for you. I have killed a lot of attempts so far, so don't get your hopes up, but I'll try!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Myrth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:44 am

Lolly, absolutely, the fun of spring dreams and plans makes the cold months so much more bearable.

The puppy is a high energy German Shepherd with an extreme prey/retrieval drive, and she also went through an intense teething period. The trees were growing in her play yard. We have moved the fence. The new hedgerow will be planted outside her fenced area. Problem solved. :)

Matt, most pecans won't grow here, but there are northern hardy varieties that will. I would be happy to plant a kiwi if you manage to propagate one. With many vines, I find it easiest to propagate by layering, as cuttings are difficult. I have no experience with kiwis, but with layering on many species I have had new, well-rooted plants after one growing season.
Myrth

Postby Myrth » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:48 am

Happy solstice, all!
Myrth

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Happy solstice to you, Myrth! Bon hiver!

From here the days get longer.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks Myrth! Feels like a good one from here, bring on the longer days.
matt walker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Members' 'steads