[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - An Illinois 'stead

An Illinois 'stead

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: An Illinois 'stead

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:25 pm

To balance the water and keep the fish alive I agree that a 1/3 of the water at a time is a good idea. Replacing more water than that can shock the fish. Watch the temperature change. Maybe let the water warm up to the out side temperature before dumping it in. Gold fish are extremely hardy and adaptable but why take chances.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:29 pm

Neat Myrth. I wonder if you could float a few small rafts of foam with growing medium in them and have a couple hydroponic lettuce plants growing throughout the summer for your fresh greens.

http://hydroponics.about.com/od/hydrosy ... Method.htm
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:38 pm

I was hoping you were aware of that 1/3 rule of thumb, Myrth. :D

If the pond is large enough, the idea of putting in a floating bed is a good one. I'm hoping to do something similar (when we finally dig a pond, that is) using willow and grapevines, since I have those items in abundance.
Lollykoko

Postby Myrth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:46 pm

The pond is probably too small to try to use it for hydroponics, but that is an interesting idea for a larger pond. I don't know that I will ever build a bigger pond to raise fish for food, but I suppose this is good experience if we decide to give it a try. I had fish in aquariums as a child, but that was long ago, and also a bit different than the outdoor pond.

Meanwhile, we decided to go with a black Berkey water filter/purifier for our drinking and cooking water. We kicked around several options, but decided on this. The order has been placed and we are awaiting its delivery. I will post my thoughts on it after we get some experience with it.
Myrth

Postby Myrth » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:57 pm

So, the Berkey water filter arrived and I have it washed, primed and assembled. It is processing its first batch of water as I write this. That first batch will go to watering plants, as the directions say to discard the first batch to get rid of any residue from manufacturing.

It is a tall unit and will not fit on the kitchen counter under the upper cabinets. I knew that when I ordered it, and figured I would place it on a small table at the end of the counter. But that is in front of a west facing window. It is not supposed to be placed where it gets direct sun either. So I am pondering where to put it that is still convenient to the sink and cooking areas.

So far, I think I will probably like it. But I view its height as a drawback.
Myrth

Postby Myrth » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:36 am

I have potted up and moved more plants from the old 'stead. I have 7 eastern redcedars. They will be part of a wind break and wildlife habitat area to the north of the house. I intend to plant elder berries and highbush cranberries in that area as well.

I have also brought some of my raspberries along and planted them in a sunny area to the south of the house where I will have quite a wide variety of fruits - trees, shrubs, brambles, and vines.

I have started working on the chicken coop and run. It needs some work before it will be ready for chickens. The previous owner apparently used it for Cornish crosses. It has no perches, no nest boxes, and no electricity. Clearly he did not over winter birds. So, it needs upgrades before I can get a laying flock. I am looking forward to having chickens again!
Myrth

Postby matt walker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Sounds like you are making good progress Myrth. Will you get chickens before winter, or wait until spring?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:24 am

Sounds like you have been busy, Myrth! How is that water filter working out for you?
Lollykoko

Postby Myrth » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Myrth

Postby Myrth » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Myrth

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads