[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - An Illinois 'stead

An Illinois 'stead

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: An Illinois 'stead

Postby matt walker » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:20 pm

What a beautiful update Myrth, thanks for that. The monarch rest area sounds lovely, I've been amazed at all the butterflies my green manure crop of buckwheat is attracting. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a big brood of chicks!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:01 pm

I too had a Great solstice, I was up by the crack of 8;30, :lol: went to my electric car club monthly meeting, and then drove to Pittsburgh for a Solar Fest at River Side Park in Millvale. It was lovely, There were 5 of 6 Electric cars, including a Tesla. An electric tractor, and a bunch of electric bikes. There were a bunch of venders selling solar panels, one guy selling solar singles, which I though was a great idea if you are up grading your roof. Because the solar shingles are actually shingles you do not need a roof, they are your roof, they are shingles. They are a bit more money that regular solar panels but you get the 30% tax credit for using them. So if you need a roof the Government will pay 30% of the cost for you and you get free electric. There were also a number of environmental type groups to save the world, clean the air, clean the water, stop Fracking , add more bike trails and just generally improve our surrounding, but they would all start with their neighborhood in Pittsburgh. ;) It was a Great Day and very informative. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Myrth » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:50 pm

We have four Icelandic chicks so far, and one hen is still setting, so we may get more. I made a gruel of chicken feed and put it in a shallow dish. The mommas dropped bits of feed for the chicks, and they quickly learned what to eat. The mommas are very protective of their chicks.

I can't seem to upload photos to this site via Tapatalk (get error messages when I try), but I will post to my blog.
Myrth

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:54 pm

I am glad to see that your flock is on the increase. That is great news, keep those chickens working. 8-)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Sounds like a busy and productive spring at your place, Myrth.
Lollykoko

Postby Myrth » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:02 am

It has been a very busy spring. It is all foundation building, creating a system that will provide for us in years to come. But even though the plants are small yet, I get great pleasure walking the property and tending to them and watching them grow.

I also enjoy the planning. I am plotting out what to plant next year and where those plants will go.
Myrth

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:16 pm

It's great to hear your progress, Myrth. I planted a lot of small plants this year too. It's very therapeutic to watch them grow. I can waste hours outside bonding with my plants and critters; it's one of my favorite past times!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Myrth » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:10 am

Yes, it is therapeutic, isn't it? I also feel like we are bonding with the plants, in addition to the critters.
Myrth

Postby Myrth » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:13 am

Puppies and plants do not mix. Our German Shepherd puppy has destroyed 2 of our eastern redcedars. We have all of them surrounded by fence wire. She is determined, and gets hold of the fencing and pulls that free from their anchors to get to the trees. My DH re-did all of the tree protections today. Thankfully puppyhood does not last forever.
Myrth

Postby Myrth » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:53 pm

I am beginning my annual cold-weather pastime of planning for next spring's planting. We have to replace a cherry and apple that didn't make it this year, and many of the redcedars killed by the tree-eating puppy. I also want to add to our front hedge - more roses (hip producing) as well as St. John's Wort. I want a number of medicinal herbs in the front hedgerow eventually.

Hawthorn is another medicinal I want to add. It will go into one of the side hedgerows.

We have an area that gets runoff from our big barn roof. It is also blessed with good soil. That will become our pecan orchard. Pecans can benefit from a bit of extra rainfall and should perform well there. Their shade will, in turn, help to cool the barn in summer, eventually. Pecans are the only nut I can eat. I am allergic to most nuts, but thankfully not pecans.

If money allows, I want to plant grapes, blueberries, hardy kiwis, and more raspberries. And if money REALLY allows, I want to start installing raised beds for a veggie garden expansion.

Ah, the dreams of spring... :)
Myrth

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads