Vermont Site

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Vermont Site

Postby matt walker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:59 pm

CJ! That is awesome! Very timely, I'm struggling with my (insert swear word here) chickens lately. I've been contemplating building yet another tractor, but couldn't settle on a design. I love that one! You've done a wonderful job on it as well. Thanks so much for the link and inspiration.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby CJ in VT » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Forgot to mention - you must use lock nuts or the bolts will come loose. I did wait till I was confident about the design so I could change things around.
CJ in VT

Postby CJ in VT » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Tuesday was the first day I let the chickens out after 2 days locked up in the new coop. An unexpected FAIL (though not in hindsight and not because of the coop)! Out of 9 chickens only 2 wound up going back in the coop in the evening. The rest all walked right through the 6" cattle fencing! And I was so worried about them flying away.

I put up 150' of 2' poultry fencing and so far the 7 chickens back in the paddock are still there.

I can't try electric ATM because the sheep are in there with lambs and they've occasionally gotten tangled up in the fencing.
CJ in VT

Postby matt walker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:42 pm

So did they go back to where ever they were roosting before you built the coop? That's what I'm afraid of, that now that they are used to the barn I'll never get them to free range and willingly go in a coop. I'm thinking I might have to start a new little flock which I contain from the get go.

I was so happy to finally have free range chickens that weren't getting eaten. Now I wish they'd stay out of all my plantings!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby CJ in VT » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:41 pm

The 2 who escaped right away went straight to their old coop and each laid an egg. I then locked them up in the coop and moved them after I added the poultry netting. Moving at night is much easier.

So far today only one escaped. I'm due for a hard cull so maybe I'll cull the escape artists.
CJ in VT

Previous

Return to Members' 'steads