[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Vermont Site

Vermont Site

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Vermont Site

Postby CJ in VT » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:07 am

I have sown shade tolerant grasses to mixed result. It starts out OK in the spring but as the denser canopy trees start filling out they don't grow great.

This year I'll focus my efforts on opening the canopy by cutting & girdling trees. I will plant nitrogen fixers to get things going like geoff lawton suggests. Some annuals and a fair amount of perennials too. Black locust seed is pretty cheap & with pre-soaking the germination rate is good. I'll let some seeds come from the back end of the animals or old hay.

I think the only annuals I'll plant will be forage radish/turnips to open up the hard pan.
CJ in VT

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:43 am

Mullien has several usages for herbalists, CJ. Seems that it's good for lungs, as shown by the hairy leaves. You might pass the word that you have a crop coming on this year, if you don't mind someone harvesting them for flowers and leaves to use in tinctures or decoctions. I think it might be used to brew tea as well.
Lollykoko

Postby CJ in VT » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:21 am

My daughter & I picked some flowers, put it in olive oil - supposed to be good for ear infections but we haven't needed it yet. I suppose I could post to Craig's list... not sure how else to get the word out but something to keep in mind.
CJ in VT

Postby boo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:27 am

You've got a great place CJ....it's so green!
boo

Postby CJ in VT » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:22 pm

That's why Vermont's the green mountain state!
ATM, however, everything is white:

by , on Flickr

I've got 4 ewes ready to pop any second!
CJ in VT

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Good luck with the lambing season, CJ. How often do sheep have twins?
Lollykoko

Postby CJ in VT » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:21 pm

From 4 ewes I'm hoping for 6 lambs.

And guess what! I just went out to feed the dog in their paddock and there was a brand new ram lamb. This is my 4th season and I have not had to intervene yet.
CJ in VT

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:28 pm

That is great CJ. I knew from what a friend had told me that many sheep will throw twins. His plan was to keep all of the sheep that had twins and butcher the ones that did not have twins. For some reason I thought the lambing season was a little bit later than Feb. You have a good bit more snow up your way than I have here, my yard is starting to melt off and show some of the grass. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:15 am

You've never had to assist a lambing, CJ? That is encouraging news. One ewe down and three to go. Are they all mated with the same ram?
Lollykoko

Postby CJ in VT » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:03 pm

All mated to the same ram.

I have certain requirements when I picked my livestock breeds and easy birthing is one. I have Black Welsh Mountain Sheep. The only downside is that they are small so it'd be tough to make any money selling them for meat. On the plus side:
Hardy (it going to the single digits tonight and they will do fine in a 3 sided shelter - even the new lamb)
Good at foraging (not picky)
Beautiful
Tasty
CJ in VT

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads