Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Postby TruGrit » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:30 pm

... after the 'Pack House' .. I moved down to the corner where the road turns 180^ and starts the descent down into the valley .. it's a zig-zag trail that crosses the hillside 3 times to reach the bottom, this will start the middle leg ...

.. lots of deadfall here .. and a surprise .. buried in the brush was a JD5 Sickle Mower ... with a tree growing right through the middle of it .. :shock:

.. mower seems to be complete, hope to get it operational once it's released ..

TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:33 pm

I am sure the John Deer mower should be alright, after all, it worked when I parked it there. :lol: or something like that I am sure. ;) I would guess its either that or, Shes a Good un, but I'd sell 'er . In either case you have a treasure that you need to do something with. If you can oil it up and sand it off and get it working that's Great. If it is rusted solid and broken and just not worth fixing you have valuable scrap metal to salvage parts from, or take to the junk yard for cash. You win either way. :D

PS how many more treasures do you expect to find on your land like the shed and the mower? You might be able to just about pay for the property with the scrap value. I think I saw a washing machine in one of the pictures, I am sure you will find more valuable stuff as you go along. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby TruGrit » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:55 pm

.. hehe .. yeah, I figure the least I got is 'yard art' .. the tranny still rotates, but the blades are froze up .. li'l WD40 oughta do the trick .. ;)
TruGrit

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:58 pm

I love old finds in like that. Some people call it junk, some call it yard art. You can do a lot with it and never know when it might be useful.

I'm glad you like my woodworking TruGrit. Some people like it, some think its redneck. Suits the purpose either way! Here's a table I just finished (those are oragami cranes on top, my daughter being artsy in the background folding scrap paper.)

I'll bet there is somebody near you with a portable band saw mill. Check on craigslist or the newspaper. Great way to make a new friend and put some of your cut wood to use. Cut n stack it now, it'll be ready to use next year if you keep it good and dry.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby TruGrit » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:02 pm

... heading down into the holler, dropping in elevation .. fighting the pricker bushes and viney things all the way ..

TruGrit

Postby TruGrit » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:13 pm

... it's frustrating that when your not looking, those vine thingys creep up around your ankle, then when you go to take a step, they pull tight and face plant you into a pricker bush .. ahh, good times .. :o
TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:17 pm

You seem to be well on your way Grit. Does the road go up the other side from the creek, or does it just sort of dead end down there? Being able to get down to the creek is wonderful. The woods look pretty healthy, a lot of undergrowth, not too much Deer damage, once the road is in what are your plans? Or do you just figure on seeing what you have once your down there at the creek and decide what you want to do then. Sometimes there is wisdom in waiting and watching, and seeing how the seasons go and where the sun hits etc before you get too carried away. Of course at our age I wouldn't wait too long. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby TruGrit » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:36 pm

... my plans are flexible at this point .. I have very little flat ground, so, I'm clearing those off for garden, orchard, sawmill, cabin and the like ... cutting trails wherever I see a way through, to try and get a look at the whole place ...

.. there is no way across the creek other than by foot, so nothing big can be done until I fix that .. there is a spot with an old collapsed bridge I think suitable to put in a culvert .. that would open up another third of the property, then I'll have to do another culvert or bridge to reach the other third.

... then there is the house, sort of been neglecting that for the land instead ... wife not gonna put up with that much longer ... :evil:

edit .. oh and yeah, there's lots more stuff to show, just gotta get those pix uploaded .. soon .. :lol:
TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:05 pm

Yeah Grit, you got to keep the wife Happy, because when Mommas not Happy, aint no body Happy. :lol: I am sure you will get the house done for her in no time. Because when a Man says he is going to do something , He does it, there is no need for her to keep reminding him every 6 months. :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Postby DevilsBrew » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:51 pm

"Pretty & working toilets"

My nagging homesteader motto *wink*
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads