Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:05 pm

I agree True, you need at least a trap door down to the space. Even if you don't go there often it will give you options. Climbing down a ladder to get to the fruit cellar is not what I would call ideal, but you have options. Bomb shelter, storm cellar, root cellar, Dungeon, the possibilities are endless, the trap door will only cost you 2 hinges, the wood will be the same as covering the floor. Go for it. It also gives you access to that area if you ever need to run wires, plumbing or do any other remodeling.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Frenchy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:46 pm

personally I would leave some kind of access would be a good place in case of tornado not sure how often they happen there but with the way the weather patterns are getting screwed up ya never know when it might be needed ..........
Frenchy

Location: Western Arkansas ~ between I 40 and I 30 in the Ouachita (Washita) mountains

Postby SilverFlame819 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Tornados, zombie apocalypse... Whatever, you NEED a secret basement! :D
SilverFlame819

Postby TruGrit » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:40 pm

... lol .. zombies .. I love it!

.. think I will build a hidden door, with a secret latch ... kinda like the bat cave .. :twisted:
TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:24 pm

I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but is the space big enough for a still? :lol: You could have a nice little cash crop going there so to speak. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby GrahamB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:12 am

That looks fairly deep. Maybe a good place to put in a storm shelter.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby TruGrit » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:47 pm

... more clearing .. this time, around the future Sawmill .. making an area to process firewood in the Spring ..

... was working right along, till Sadie split her claw romping in the woods .. so yesterday was spent at the Vets .. poor darlin' .. she is in a lot of pain, breaks yer heart ...

... so, as I have to stay at the house to care for her, I measured the 'tomb' under the carport .. comes out to - 4ft wide .. 8ft deep .. and 12ft long .. plenty of space to create something useful down there ..
TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Sorry to hear about Sadie's claw. It always hurts when they are in pain and you are helpless to do anything but Love them. I am sure it will heal quickly and you guys will be back to work on the land clearing spaces. That is a nice size space you found there, good for a lot of uses. I am sure you will come up with a worth while use for that much space. Keep us posted as to the final out come.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:29 pm

By the way, nice level area you have cleared there. That should make a great staging area for the saw mill. Something else I just thought of, you don't have to access that hidden space from up above. You could cut a door from the basement into it and give you much better access. Yes I know that is a lot of work, and yes I know you would need to install a lentil, and you would need an expensive insulated door, but think about how usable the space would be if you had access to it from the basement. At that point it really would make a great place to store your canned goods and fruits and potatoes, and what ever else you have that would store well in a cool dark place. I know you need more work like you need a hole in your head about now, but it was just a thought. :) It does not need to be high on the priority list, maybe when you are looking for an inside project next winter. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby TruGrit » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:54 pm

... funny thing, I was just thinking about this last night .. your right Guy, lotta work, but, would put a very handy room, right off the laundry area .. I will have to investigate further .. :shock:
TruGrit

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads