[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Restoring Tobacco Road ..

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:58 pm

Great minds think alike True. :lol: Great minds think alike.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby TruGrit » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:11 pm

The $100 Storage Shed ... I needed a quick solution for storage when we first got here, so this is what I threw together ... it's a 12' X 10" hoop shed built from cattle panels and tarp ..

3 cattle panels - $60
1 16 X 12 tarp - $35
12 tent stakes
rebar ties and/or zip ties

... just lay the panels out on the ground and rebar tie them together .. drive tent stakes along one side, raise it up till the sides are ten feet apart and stake the other side .. throw the tarp over and zip it down .. voila! ..

.. I've moved them a couple times already .. you just pull the stakes out and drop it flat, drag to the new location and raise it up again ..

.. to hold against the wind, I used crossed ropes on the backend to keep it rigid .. was surprised how well this works ..

.. here are links to the materials I used -

hoops -

tarp -

tent stakes -

rebar ties -

... I'll be putting up some one panel versions with plastic soon, to store and dry firewood where it's cut, then collect it up next fall ..

.. if you need a quick, portable solution, this may work for ya .. if I forgot something, just ask .. Tru
TruGrit

Postby matt walker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 am

What a great little shed and a nice write up. That would make a great low tunnel for extending the growing season for those of us in colder areas. Cool man.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby GrahamB » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:37 am

My soon to be chicken tractor is going to be made the same way. The panels will be fixed to a 2x4 base and extra panels for the ends with a door built into one end. Then it will all be covered with chicken wire. A tarp will cover the back end with the roost and the nest boxes fitted to the end panel.
I got the idea from this guy.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby TruGrit » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:02 pm

.. whew, that's over with .. sorry haven't been around .. we got an offer on the other house and had to kiss their a.... uh .. tend to some items the buyers requested .. but .. closing was yesterday and we are shed of the place ... Freedom!!

.. gonna take the weekend to de-stress, makes some plans and get after it again next week .. first up .. firewood on nice days .. carport project on rainy days.
TruGrit

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:54 pm

That is Great News True !! Glad you got the house sold. That can some times be a problem with this uncertain market. I am sure it helps free up some cash and take the pressure off. Now you can really focus or your new Homestead. I am sure you will be getting a lot more done now that 100% of your attention is with the new place. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Hey man, congrats! So glad that worked out for you. I'm sure it wasn't painless, but from here it looks like it happened in a reasonable time and man, you can put all your attention to the new place. Right on man, enjoy the weekend.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:30 am

Congrats! Out of sight, out of mind... and good riddance, too, no doubt. For sure, you must feel so much weight lifted and I'm sure you're appreciating the new place even more now.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:05 pm

I'm sure it is a relief to not have the house to worry over any longer. Now all your time and energy is on the future, not the past.
Lollykoko

Postby TruGrit » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:31 am

.. when chainsawing limbs .. always remember to wear your safety glasses .. 8-)

TruGrit

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads