Hi from lower Alabama

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Hi from lower Alabama

Postby Msgoldielocks » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi. I've been lurking around here for awhile and have almost commented on many threads, but since this seems to be a fairly small, active community, I thought I'd introduce myself before just jumping right in.

We have a small homestead, just about 2 acres, and big dreams. We started off innocently enough with a garden about 4 years ago. We bought plants and seeds from the local feed store, stuck them in the ground and waited for a small, disappointing yield.

Since then we've added 5 raised planters, a flock of chickens, a pair of turkeys, tilled an enormous unused portion of our yard, cut several trees, built a barn, and will be getting milking goats in a month or two.

This is our first year starting seeds indoors. We found a used "grow lab" and have things popping up already. We also have a notebook in which we decided EVERYTHING needs to be recorded in.

Oh yeah, I've also had a couple of babies myself. They are a huge part of why we're doing what we're doing. But really we want freedom and independence. I don't want to eat poisonous chemical laden food or gmos. I want our kids to know where food come from, and we want to be good stewards of our planet.

We do what we can; we recycle, compost, cloth diaper, shop used and local, but we still want more. We (hubby and I) have big goals and obviously there's a lot to learn and benefit from others' experiences.

So that's it in a nutshell. I just wanted to say hi before I just jumped in and started commenting and asking questions. Hope to learn and share lots along the way.
Msgoldielocks

Re: Hi from lower Alabama

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi there, welcome aboard, glad to have you with us. Sounds like you have made some great strides toward setting up your homestead. I happened to pick up a Mother Earth News wiser living series, Guide to Self-Reliance awhile back. My Mom was in the hosp, so I am guessing it was around Nov. There is an article in it about homesteading on an acre. Since you have twice that much ground you should have no problems. ;) There isn't an inch of the land that isn't used for something, but it has a yard, small barn, pigs, chickens, small hay field, a milk cow or milk goats, Bee hives, orchard, a lot of veggies, and a house. Its a nice article, if you can find a copy I would recommend it as a starting place. Each Homestead has to be different to meet the needs of the Family living there, but it is a good place to start. It sounds as if your goals are similar to what they have accomplished there on one acre. Good Luck.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:01 am

Welcome Goldie! We are so glad that you have joined the conversation.
Lollykoko

Postby GrahamB » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:34 am

Welcome! As you've probably figured out, we are not one of those forums that tell you what you must do. We work out our problems in a friendly and enthusiastic manner. You've only got look at all the pyromaniacs on here and how they have developed the hot butt heater.... no wait, rocket mass heater. There are lots of different projects going on here though, and all in a friendly, non-judgmental way. Most of us have small plots like you that we are trying to make productive, so welcome to the club. :)
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby Msgoldielocks » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks y'all! We definitely want to do a rocket mass heater also. Our kitchen/dining area has practically zero insulation and is ccccold in the winter. We have a window planter and a bench in one corner and we'll take that out and put in a rmh. It is all really overwhelming sometimes. I just try to remember to take one thing at a time. We also jump in feet first frequently and learn as we go. Although that sometimes means redoing things...
Msgoldielocks

Postby matt walker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:47 pm

So glad you joined up Ms. Locks! Welcome. Your place sounds wonderful and I love the description of how you guys found yourself immersed in the lifestyle. It does kinda creep in in tiny seed packets! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures there.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby TruGrit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:45 pm

.. I'll say howdy too Goldie, even though I'm a noob here ... these are great folks and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I have ..

.. btw, I'm gonna swipe your notebook idea .. thx! .. :mrgreen:
TruGrit

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Welcome Ms Goldie Locks! I'll be excited to see the changes you folks are making at your place. I've got a lot of planting to do too as soon as this weather breaks. Really looking forward to this growing season (and the harvest season, too).
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Return to Members' 'steads