Dumpster living - not my stead but enjoy!

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Dumpster living - not my stead but enjoy!

Postby DrewInToledo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:32 am

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/arc ... er/379947/

Makes one wonder how much we really need. I know one thin i would need is insulation!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Re: Dumpster living - not my stead but enjoy!

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:30 pm

That's awesome, Drew. Thanks for sharing that. I really enjoyed it. I could carry on for hours with my thoughts on that but perhaps that would be better left to discussion over a pint some day.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Re: Dumpster living - not my stead but enjoy!

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Very interesting article. I admire what he is trying to do, and what he is trying to show the students. We all need to think about what is sustainable in the long run. I thought it was some what interesting that he is planning a 2nd story, and an out building to hold his toilet, shower, cooking etc. As Americans apparently 36 sf is just not enough space for us to be comfortable. We demand a few more amenities like air conditioning down south where it is Hot, or a Heater up North Here where it is cold. But he is showing us that we can live comfortably in less space than I am heating just to watch TV. My carbon foot print as an American is HUGE, I am so ashamed . :cry:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Return to Members' 'steads