[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Show us your rain catchment system

Show us your rain catchment system

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Show us your rain catchment system

Postby DrewInToledo » Sat May 02, 2015 7:19 pm

I just updated from a (2) 55 gallon system which I use to water the gardens to a 275(?) gallon IBC tote along with a rain diverter system... I will replace the diverter catch tube with one of greater volume...

Before:

After:

I'd like to install a pump and power it from my solar system, filter the water, and maybe flush the toilets.

If I am able to find some land, I'll install a cistern in the ground. I would love to see your setup!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Re: Show us your rain catchment system

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat May 02, 2015 8:36 pm

Awesome, Drew! I have something similar on that new building I put up last year, except I didn't do the diverter. I just used a screened gutter... so yeah, not nearly as clean as what you did there. Gary over at builditsolar.com has a good how-to for the rainwater diverter but I just didn't have the space between the gutter and the IBC tank.

The biggest drawback for me is the algae build up. Somewhere on the www I saw that a couple over in the UK covered their IBC tank in a black pond liner to keep algae down. I'm not paying for a pond liner but waiting for an opportunity to come my way to cover it cheaply (free). The algae has gotten bad enough that it has plugged the outlet a couple times. I've thought about throwing a carp or a catfish in there, but....

How did you rig your outlet? I just used a PVC cap and glued a 3/4 hose female to it. Working well so far.

My IBC totally froze full of water over the winter at some point through a freeze/thaw and it took it without a problem. No splits, no leaks. Man, those things are tough.

My main house collector is just a 200 gallon watering trough for livestock. It's useful for me because I can just dunk a bucket or sprinkling can in it and fill it if needed. I may go the IBC route with that when the opportunity appears.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Sun May 03, 2015 11:33 am

A catfish in the rain barrel... that's a good idea! I suppose it would need aeration?
I didn't finish the outlet yet. I am certain with all the junk I have, I probably have the correct fittings in a box in a corner somewhere... now if I can just find it....
I'm with you, man. I'm not going to spend $ just to wrap this guy up in black pond liner. You'll see a wooden fence in the background. Well, I tore down another section of fence 2 year ago that was in bad shape and saved all the wood, so I'm going to frame the tote in with the recycled lumber and then make a lid for the top. I figure this might be enough to assist with the buildup of algae. What do you think? I may also have some old spray paint I could hit it with first... The upside that I already have going for me is that this is on the north side of the building, so it won't see as much light as other areas of the property.
I'll soon recycle the blue rain barrels for a system on the other side of the shed as well... or just sell them on craigslist and convert them into cash.
Thanks for the tip on Gary's site. I'll go check it out.
DrewInToledo

Postby DrewInToledo » Sun May 03, 2015 10:58 pm

A few beers later...
DrewInToledo

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon May 04, 2015 2:51 am

mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue May 05, 2015 10:21 pm

Looking good, Drew. I don think a channel cat or a common carp would need aeration, but there's always the challenge o how to get it back out of there.

I don't think that Gary did his diverter much different than you did, I just didn't have room.

Keep us posted on how it does. I'm curious how much light it takes to make the tank green. I hope wood is enough. The downside to covering the tank, with wood or other, is then it's hard to see how full it is. I wonder if you left a small gap in the wood in one spot as a sight-glass if that would be enough?
mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed May 06, 2015 12:35 am

I'll certainly report progress. I'm not ready for use just yet.. I still need to make a positive seal where the inlet enters the top. It's just spilling into the hole now, which won't allow for proper overflow operation as you know. I ordered a (overpriced) grommet yesterday to finish the installation but now I'm stuck in Cincinnati for a few days for work.
As for getting the catfish back out? hmmmm.. how about a hook, some stinkbait and a hot frying pan :)
DrewInToledo

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed May 06, 2015 2:24 am

Funny you say that. I was working yesterday and thought about you. The carp were spawning so I grabbed as many as I could and smoked them up today. I was thinking about sticking one in my tank but figured the smoker was a much better home for them. What's that quote about a bird I the hand....
mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Mon May 11, 2015 5:03 pm

I found some parts in the shed. I bought these a couple years back when I picked up the tote. Essentially I just used a screw on PVC adapter along with 2 reducers and another fitting to bring it down to 3/4.
DrewInToledo

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue May 12, 2015 12:48 am

Nice! I was looking for some stuff like that when I got mine but they didn't really have anything at the big-box store. I ended up using just a PVC cap with a hole drilled in it and subbed in some 3/4" PVC. It has been glued a couple of times and still leaks a little. Not a big deal but not as nice as what you have going on there.
mannytheseacow

Return to Members' 'steads