Getting Kids involved

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Getting Kids involved

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:16 am

I read a book on permiculture last year, Food not Lawns, I can't say that I liked the book, and I would not recommend it, But the one pearl of wisdon I got from it was the idea of planting a sunflower garden for the kids. I have 5 very young Grandchildren. I made a 12 X 12 room with sunflowers. I planted a 2 ft wide row of sunflowers on all side letting a " Doorway " on one side. As the sunflowers grew the kids 1st had a fort that they could see over the walls, and later a house to play in. It worked out great and they really enjoyed the space. I have some pictures of how I made it and how it turned out, but I can't seem to get them to show here. I guess I need to be smarter than the post. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Re: Getting Kids involved

Postby matt walker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:27 am

What a great idea! I agree that any way we can get the kids involved in growing and creating is win/win. I love the idea of the sunflower room! I am not sure if I need to change permissions or something to get photos to show. Is the photo hosted externally somewhere like Photobucket or Flickr? I think that's a mandatory step, as I have the site set to not allow photo uploads, just links. Let me know if you need some help.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:49 am

I need some help. lol, I am a functional illiterate and have no clue. I am not on face book, or photobucket or Flickr, I just found out how to up load the pics from my camera to my computer. what ever help you can give would be good.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:00 am

Well, like most boards, if you want to post a photo here, you have to upload it elsewhere first. I like Photobucket, just because I've used it for a while. You sign up there, and it's easy as heck to upload to. Once you've done that, they will have an "IMG code" for each photo you uploaded. You can just copy that code into your post and your photo should show up.

The reason for that method of doing things is that then the board here doesn't need to have storage to host your photo. Don't be shy about uploading to Photobucket, you can set access to private and no one can see your stuff there.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:45 am

Last edited by pa_friendly_guy on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby matt walker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:51 am

Excellent! The way to get it to show here is in the post reply section, right above the post box, you should see the img button. Click on that, and it will put the code into your post. Paste the address of your photo above in between the two img code segments, and you've got it.

You can also copy the whole Img code plus address from photobucket. Below your picture on the photobucket page you'll see the "img code." Copy that here.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby matt walker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:55 am

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:09 am

Image First I covered the ground with clear plastic for several months over the winter, Then I dug out the top soil in a 2 foot trench all around the 12 X 12 square.
[imghttp://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/pa_friendly_guy_here2001/100_0096.jpg][/img]
Then I dug out some of the rocks with a digging fork
Then I added rotted wood chips and spaded them under. Then some leaf mulch on top of that
Then I had a room that the Grandkids could play in, it worked out great. There were 2 more pictures to go with this post, but I couldnt get that done, ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby matt walker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 am

Hey, you got it! Nice. That looks great, and what a happy grandson! That's a really neat project to share with the little ones.

What did you do with the flowers? I've never grown 'em but am thinking I will this year to supplement the chickens' diet with the seeds in the fall.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:23 am

I let the birds have most of them, I saved some for seed. Not sure how they will grow because I think they may have been Hybreed seeds. I do not have any live stock here. I feed the birds alot because I enjoy seeing them. The squirrels get alot, but there is enough left for the birds, and even the wild turkeys. Just a fun project for me with out alot of purpose or need, just fun and enjoyment. At my age I need as much of that as I can get.
pa_friendly_guy

Next

Return to Members' 'steads