Lollyland

Start a thread for your 'stead!

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Lollyland

Postby boo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:22 pm

Lollyland is just gorgeous....all those huge trees, the views, yummy black soil......I'm getting excited for you. Can't wait to see what comes next.
boo

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:41 am

Boo, the first time I saw the place, I knew it was where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. A month (and 2 bank loans) later, my name was on the tax paperwork, so I guess it owns me. :D

I did make it up on Saturday afternoon. The rain was courteous enough to stop for a while any time I wanted to go somewhere that night, so I enjoyed some fabulous grouper at the small restaurant at the closest stoplight. Once I got back to the camper however, it started raining again. I've never heard thunder quite like that before; a L O N G rumble of as much as two minutes (really). It reminded me of the tale of Rip Van Winkle somehow. :lol:

Anyway, the sound of rain all night was very relaxing. Sunday, I decided the ground at the equipment cut-out was too slippery to deal with the tractor, so I tagged trees instead. Back on page three I posted some pictures of the pines that are thickly strewn on the south face of the hill. I started at the north end of the N/S firelane and walked downhill (west) about 150 feet marking all the pine trees in the area as well as some (less than fair) nut trees and poplar. The difference in elevation is probably 8 ~ 10 feet. I think I traveled about 300 feet in a southerly direction, and tagged plenty of timber to come down as soon as we can arrange a party. Labor Day weekend might be a good time to get the family together with chain saws.

The hillside that would be opened up by taking out the pines would give a lot of room for orchard / vineyard / berry patch to be established. The hillside is also lowest in the middle with a pretty well defined run-off. All the videos and reading have said to start at the top, so ... If I can delay that water run-off with 3 or four long hugel beds and dwarf fruit trees stationed in between ... There is plenty of organic material!

The old apple tree near the top of the hill has an apple on it! I only saw one while I was driving by, but even the local orchards don't have fruit this year. I know the hill is good for growing trees. Now if only I can be as good at putting different elements together!

Later I went down to check my pitiful excuse for a garden. I took a hoe with me and chopped back the thistles that were shading the tomatoes and peppers. Something keeps eating leaves from my cayenne plants, but they are starting to bloom. The tomocillos have been bearing all season, since the plant had fruit when I bought it. The other tomatoes are just now beginning to set fruit / blossom out. I bought several varieties and don't remember now which are which. Well, the Romas are rather distinct in shape, so I know that one! The brussel sprouts are developing little yellow blossoms; one of the cauliflower looks like a head is forming and the cabbages have the big leaves in place. I couldn't find the potatoes or onions, but might if I ever mow down the 5' prairie grass that over ran the patch. After all, they are root crops...

I didn't get much accomplished in the 24 hours I stole away, but it was good for my soul. Did I mention the wild flowers that we threw seed out for in April? The county didn't have quite the whole area dug up again, so some of the seed actually took. I bought a few more bags to throw down in the pasture sometime around Halloween for next years enjoyment.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Those flowers look nice Lolly. I there some poppy I see mixed with the rest?
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby boo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:05 am

They look like poppies to me too.
boo

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:12 am

Yes, there are poppies in the mix which surprised all of us here. I took pictures of each type of wildflower I could find along the edge of the woods. There are plenty more pictures at http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk21 ... %20photos/, of wild flowers or trees or just stuff.

I realized that I misspoke earlier. The hillside where I was tagging trees is west facing, not south. It's been a long day. :?
Lollykoko

Postby Lollykoko » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:49 am

It's been a while since I was here. Not only haven't I added anything to the thread, I've barely had any time to spend at the farm at all, and that isn't good for my health. :cry:

I gave notice at the job two weeks ago. :) I've said I'll stay until the other person gets back from sick leave or they hire someone new. But one way or another, I'm done by spring. I'm the only person I should be working for, and I have of plenty of work to be doing. ;) I'm hoping for some stretches of moderate weather this winter so a few things can be accomplished. Maybe I'll finally get the hang of starting a chain saw! :lol:
Lollykoko

Postby boo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm glad you're back Lolly. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures on your land.
boo

Postby matt walker » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:17 pm

Congrats Lolly, I think it's a wise decision. I'm looking forward to seeing your place develop into what you've been dreaming of.

My father bought one of those Stihl saws with the easy start feature. It's really amazing. It works by pulling slowly on the cord which winds up a spring or something and then it pretty much starts itself. I couldn't believe how easy it is and how well it works.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Matt, earlier this year I paid for a used 14" Stihl chainsaw and this week got it from my brother-in-law. I'm hoping that the pull on it will be within my arms length. At least, that is the way the problem feels, when I can't pull start something; that my arms aren't long enough. Of course since I am about 6 inches shorter than the "average male", height was the biggest problem I faced in the factory. Tools weren't made with my shorter stature and reach in consideration. He also brought the generator (which I have only been able to start once and that was while it was still warm), giving him a little more garage space.

Two weeks ago I spent the day at the farm, trying to get a tarp over the top of my pop-up camper, that I can't crank down. (there are issues with the crank handle that need addressed) The wind was 40 mph gusts, but after 3 hours I managed to get a 20X40 tarp in place and secured on three edges. When I came home that day it was with a shopping list to acquire enough bits and pieces to erect a hoop house over it for the winter, thanks to Matt's thread and photos. There is a bundle of 1" PVC there already, with some of the necessary connectors, so I picked up rebar and some 3 way 45 degree corners. I have to go back for the 1 1/4 connectors to cut down for clamps to hold plastic sheeting in place. On Wednesday the weather is supposed to be pretty good so I'm hoping to go up and at least get a frame erected. My best guy friend has said he'll ride along to keep me company and be the third hand that is sometimes needed. He will also hang on to the .22 rifle, since a neighbor has reported seeing a pack of wild dogs in the area.
Lollykoko

Postby Lollykoko » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:50 am

My day, with pictures ...

Several people hunt deer at my place, with my permission. Today the plans were that 4 people were going to be hunting in the morning, I was to come up at noon break, they would give me a hand with a project, I'd leave and they would go back to hunting till a half hour after sundown.

Last winter was so mild and I loved the times I could go spend a little time at the farm. This winter I'm wanting to have the camper waiting for me, in case. But given the idea that it's 30 or so years old and the canvas has seen better days, I need some protection from the elements. Last month I spent an afternoon at the farm, by myself, fighting a 20X40 tarp and 40mph wind gusts. It took 3 hours, but something was accomplished. I've lashed the tarp to some trees and the base of the camper, but I want something better. The project is to build a hoop house over my pop-up camper. Shag and I glued up the ribs on Wednesday and left them to cure so we'd be ready to work today. I brought up a box of 6 mil plastic and we already have the nice tarp that is currently in place to use as well.
Of course there was no one there when I arrived. FWIW, Shag had called me before 10am to say that he and his girlfriend had stayed home. Cool damp air isn't good for arthritic joints and sitting on the ground in a blind was just out of the question! My cousin and his BIL either didn't show up or left after a few hours. But since I've driven 42 miles to get here, I'm not leaving without doing something! The mowers sure could use a barn or garage to house them, but that isn't happening anytime soon, either. When I parked them last fall, the older one was directly behind the other. Of course I couldn't get it started, so I had to push it by hand to put it along side the unit with the blade.
Using some metal pieces from an old "garage in a box" that was damaged in a windstorm so the former owners donated them to the cause, it didn't take long to make a peaked roof and cover it with a tarp. If I'd had help ... we could have lifted it off the ground a little more. This way the field mice will just love spending the winter inside the mower like they have in the past. But at least the rain and snow will be deflected.
I heard that there was a double tree stand somewhere close to my property line, so I jumped on the backhoe and went exploring. :D I didn't find anything where it shouldn't have been, which is just as well. What would I be able to do about it anyway? But it was a nice drive back into the SE corner and gave me a look at plenty of Zone 4 things that need done someday. :!: Did I mention that my sister brought me 11 trees that need planted? I had planned to do that earlier, but discovered that I wasn't getting anywhere fast with a garden spade in previously unworked ground. On my way back to camp, I went to the garden area from this summer and used the backhoe to dig a hole. After parking the equipment I grabbed the trees and spade then walked back to the garden. I shoveled some of the loose dirt back into the hole to give some softened soil below the saplings. I placed the trees on their side at about a 40 degree angle, then filled the hole back in with a shovel. I placed blocks at either end so I can find the spot again in the spring. Hopefully the deer won't eat the trees over the winter. :)
By this time, the temperature had dropped by about 15 degrees. :o The clouds look like snow sometime soon, but that was what I thought at the end of October too! Image I wasn't in a hurry to come back to town, so I fired up the space heater in the camper and read a book for an hour or so. The weather is turning off rather cold for spending the night with the set-up I have now, though I'm sure the flapping tarp would help me sleep! ;) :lol: Once the hoops go up and the plastic goes on, we will be on the lookout for some bales of straw to go around the base of the camper inside the protective covering. Hopefully they won't be $6 each, but even so, a dozen would make for good insulation over the winter and great mulch in the spring.
Lollykoko

PreviousNext

Return to Members' 'steads