Cob recipes

Help create a community

Moderator: matt walker

Cob recipes

Postby DrewInToledo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:34 am

I know its not rocket science, but how about some successful cob recipes as a sticky thread in one of the forum topics?
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Re: Cob recipes

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Hey Drew,

Sorry, I can't do anything about sticky threads, but I hate to see you hanging here with no response.

As far as cob goes, I'd recommend going down to your local library and picking up Ianto Evan's "The Hand Sculpted House". I say go to the library and don't buy it because you're right, the concepts are pretty simple. Once you look through the book a little bit you'll get the jist of it.

In my limited experience with cob, the cob itself is just a means to a mass that supports the plaster. I haven't built a house or anything like that, so that concept might be more precise. I've worked on several stove projects now, both for me and for friends that don't feel comfortable posting their doings on the internet. From my experience all you need to do is dig up about anything and pile it up. The plaster coat will kind of cover everything and hold it together. I've been experimenting with different plasters on two of my stoves over the past month and I'm coming up with some good ideas. I can share them if you want, but nothing I can tell you will compare with you going out and just digging some dirt and piling it up for yourself.

Cheers!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:56 am

Hi Manny. I kind of expected a reply similar to this but I thought I'd float it in the ether anyhow.

I keep hearing the same thing... just dig up dirt. I think I finally get the idea!! :) I have very clay-type soil around here, and lots of leftover grout from my DIY hearth pad that I plan to dump into the mix. I might give it a go this weekend.

Thanks for the reply! If nothing else, it reinforces the simplicity of making stuff.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:29 pm

My soil is really low in clay and it still seems to work just fine. I used to go dig clay to add to it and any more I just dig what I have. Rock and silt seem to work just fine as long as there is a good plaster over it. I don't even use straw anymore unless I'm really worried about it falling apart. I'm sure you'll do fine. If your cobbing abilities are anything like your carving abilities you'll have some really sweet things built in no time!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Return to The Suggestion Box