Pleased to meet you!

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Pleased to meet you!

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Welcome Jostein, we are glad to have you aboard. I am sure that there will be things that you will find here to help you accomplish your goals for the Family Farm. You are correct that Norway has a much different climat than many of us here, but many of the principals that work here for us will work there for you. You may be planting diffent plants or varietys of plants, but the basic principals of nature will still apply. Glad to have you join us, Good Luck with your projects.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Right on Jostein, welcome! Your place sounds wonderful, and I'm looking forward to learning more about it.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:05 am

Hello, Jostein. Welcome. :D

It sounds like you have some steep inclines to work with on your farmland. That situation could take a little ingenuity and some Holzer videos to figure out.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:35 pm

I have noticed that alot of our new members, as well as many of the old ones do not put any information about their land or location or climate on their profiles. I think it helps alot to know what kind of situation people are in , it helps with what might work where you live and what might not work. I do understand privacy, but a general location, like Maine, or Texas or something might help. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby SilverFlame819 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Resurrecting this thread. Looks like the closest thing we've got here to an "introduce yourself" kind of thing. I don't have a homestead, so can't introduce myself in that forum...

So hi, everyone. :) My name is Angela, I am 33. I I know Matt and Frenchy, but probably not many of the rest of you. I currently live in SLC. I bought a motorhome last summer that I plan to move into in a few months. I am switching jobs soon as well to something much higher paying than what I'm currently doing, and plan to hang around this city until fall, and then head back to the West Coast. I am originally from Cali, and just kind of got stuck along the way. I am hoping to be able to travel slowly around the coast for a bit and find the place I want to call home. I am thinking that magical place exists somewhere between Northern Cali and Washington. I miss the coast something fierce. I don't need to be ON the water, but I need to be back among the trees. I cannot wait to get back to farming. I miss my animals! I'm more of a hippie than a traditional farm girl. I am "country" in that I enjoy crocheting, cross-stitch, quilting, baking, canning, candlemaking, soapmaking, and other crafts. I am "hippie" in that I enjoy tie-dyeing, don't really do makeup, have crazy long hair, and am Pagan. I am outspoken and like to laugh and tease the hell out of people (sorry, Matt). :lol: I'm honest, sometimes to a fault, but try to keep my mouth from hurting peoples' feelings. And as much as it is hard to believe with as much as I babble, I am quite the introvert. I can chat just about anyone up, and god help you if you get me started on a topic I'm passionate about, but I very much value my alone time. I plan to be the crazy dog lady in 10 years though, not the crazy cat lady. :P

There are few things that soothe my soul as much as nature and animals do. My main passions, when it comes to the farm, are dogs (mostly Border Collies), sheep (milk, meat, wool), goats (milk, meat), chickens (chicks, eggs, meat, feathers), rabbits (meat, show, pets, possibly fur), and fruit trees (fruit trees!!! :D ). I think I love the IDEA of gardening more than I love gardening. I always get so excited about what I could plant that I plant WAY too much, and then it's a horrible pain to take care of. Perhaps if I practiced more moderation... :D I have a background in breeding/raising/training/working with just about everything under the sun... Fish, rabbits, goats, sheep, horses, cattle, chickens, pheasants, pigeons, turkeys, ducks, partridges, parakeets, cockatiels, dogs, cats, guinea pigs, and even mice, hamsters, a hedgehog, and a possum. While I don't have a BIG interest in raising cattle or pigs, I am considering raising up some dairy heifers to sell, and perhaps a steer or two for the freezer for my dogs. I am also somewhat interested in getting a Dutch Belted milk cow, or a miniature Jersey. I also have a mild interest in raising pigs, mostly to feed my scraps to, and to let till garden space. Of course, piglets would also go to feed the dogs. I'm really looking forward to becoming as self-sufficient as possible, and weaning both myself AND my dogs off commercial sources. At this point I'm kind of an anomaly in that I am a vegetarian, but plan to raise animals for meat. I enjoy looking through the threads you all have started on how you're processing your animals, because it gives me good ideas on possibilities. You won't get any bleeding-heart, "SAVE THE ANIMALS!" from me. I'm a realistic girl. :)

I'm sure you'll get to know of my weirdness in the future, but those are the basics. :)
SilverFlame819

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:10 am

Hello SilverFlame! I'm assuming you mean Salt Lake City, which was a beautiful place to be the several times I've visited family there. No, there aren't a lot of trees in that area unless someone has gone crazy with planting in the past dozen years or so.

Don't let not having a place of your own at the moment keep you from chiming in whenever it feels right. I haven't accomplished much in the past year, but still keep coming back to see what everyone else is up to.
Lollykoko

Postby SilverFlame819 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:32 am

No worries, Lolly. Few things keep me from chiming in when I feel like it. :lol:

And yes, Salt Lake City. Sorry, should have specified. There are actually a ton of trees in the part of the city I live in, but a few trees on a city block is nothing compared to the PNW. I mean REAL trees! :D
SilverFlame819

Previous

Return to The Hangout