Joys of living in the County

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Joys of living in the County

Postby matt walker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:59 am

Sounds like they've been talking to the turkeys Lolly!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:37 am

Probably so. I'm sure the deer are a little vexed when I use one of their trails, though I try hard to avoid them. I saw lots of broken ground where they have come through in large bunches to get to the nut trees and the foliage beneath them. I was picking wild salad greens there in early February.

Tonight I realized that the calendar hanging on the wall has planting dates! Tomorrow I'm headed to Rural King to get seed potatoes and onion sets to plant in a week or so. I need an excuse to make the drive to the farm, to see if my cell phone works up there. I just started a new service and am trying to learn my way around a Blackberry. My 30 days are half over and I don't know if I can get reception or browse capabilities at the farm!
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:52 pm

I hope that you can get phone reception at the Farm Lolly. I know that my boys can't get any phone reception at our hunting camp. There is a big hill behind the camp that stops it. It they walk across the road, or down the road a few yards, or go up stairs and stand on a metal bed on one foot, or,,,,,,well, you get the idea, no reception in camp and they think it is a pain. I do not own a cell phone, never have. I have avoided it for years and so far have been able to stay away from them. There are some times when I don't want them to find me, ;) lol
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:00 pm

I saw my 1st Robin yeasterday, and the crocusses are in bloom. Both sure signs of spring around here.

Even the pussy willow is budding out

I am even seeing the Maple trees starting to show the buds turning red and ready to come out. It won't be long now. Maybe I should start planting my tomato seeds. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:18 pm

My calendar suggests planting root crops between now and the 13; seed beds on the 12 & 13th.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 pm

The 4th of July is one of my favorite Holidays. We always have a party with family and friends. This year we had about 50 people here for a covered dish picnic. The yard is big so we had no trouble parking cars, and still had acres of grass to let the kids run and play. I have a tent about 20' X 18' that I put up for shade, and also in case it rains, this year I was glad to have it, it rained hard for a long time after supper on the 4th. We got about 3 inches of rain on the 3rd and 4th combined. It did not dampen the party, we had the covered porch and the tent so no one got too wet. We really needed the rain, the garden looks a little better now. God Bless America, I love the 4th of July, :D
pa_friendly_guy

Postby matt walker » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:02 pm

That sounds wonderful Guy, wish I was closer. I love the 4th as well. Glad to hear your party was a success, rain and all.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:27 pm

It is always a Great Time Matt. We have been doing it for over 25 years now. Good Friends and Family make for a wonderful afternoon. We always start at 2 pm, the offical hour of Independace, at least that is what Jimmy Carter said in 1976 for the Bi Centenial. ;) We ring the bell and start the party at 2. Works for Me, :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Postby GrahamB » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:32 am

We always travel over to our friend Becky's place for Thanksgiving and at least one trip in the summer. She lives on the Arkansas side of Bull Shoals Lake, deep down in the woods. We decided to celebrate 4th July with them this year. We even took the dog on his first big road trip and he got to visit with her two new puppies. We had planned to climb up on the mountain to watch all the firework displays up and down the lake, but the whole area was put under a burn ban this week and so we just had a huge cookout with all the family and friends. The temperature got up to 105 during the day and it peeked at 110 yesterday. It didn't stop us having fun though.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:57 pm

My garden has been very stressed because of lack of rain. We did get alot of rain on the 3rd and 4th of July which has helped alot. My potato plants were turning brown befor the rain and have not really come back all that much since. So I decided to dig a few fresh potatos and see how they are doing. I dug up a vol plant that I had left grow in the lettus patch and picked a few that were sort of pokeing their heads up through the mulch. I got about 6 lb of fresh potatos just from that process. I love fresh potatos, especially the very small ones that I slice up and fry. MMMMMMMMMMMMM They are so good. Fresh produce out of the garden is one of my biggest Joys. We have been eating alot from the garden for a couple of weeks now, zuccini, cucumbers, green peppers, bannana peppers, [ No colored peppers yet, alot on the plants but none turning red or yellow or orange ] large white onions, garlic, and green beans. No tomatos yet, and I will not have any for awhile, Tomatos normally come on strong in Aug for me. Maybe some small cherry tomatos befor that, but no large one untill late for me. I do not plant sweet corn in my garden, it takes alot of space and I can buy it grown locally fairly cheaply. What a Joy to walk up to the garden and pick a few fresh peppers that will be cooked into what ever we are having for supper. I love living in the county. :D
pa_friendly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout