[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Joys of living in the County

Joys of living in the County

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Joys of living in the County

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:47 pm

I put out a mineral block to attract the Deer. It seems to be working, it has to get wet to work. Yesterday it finally rained .8o of an inch, last night I saw 2 Bucks, a 4 point and a 6 point as well as one Doe. I love to see Deer in my back yard. The pear trees have dropped alot of not quiet ripe pears, that maybe what the Deer are here for, but either way its Great to see them fairly close from the Back Porch.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby GrahamB » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Like you Guy I'm thinking about getting the deer in. I have yet to get my salt blocks out, but I've had the trail cam out all year and apart from the occasional calf trespassing from next door, I've had nothing show up yet. They are probably staying in the woods where it's a little cooler. Quite a few bachelor groups have been seen on the edge of the highways. I'm keeping my eye on my persimmon trees as they have a lot of fruit on them and the deer love them. The trick is to grab enough fruit for cooking but leave enough for them to stay interested.
Having had no rain for two months, I was on the phone to my buddy back home in England and he said they had had a months worth of rain in 24 hours, with 63 flood alerts posted. Even for England, that is a lot of water.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:03 am

I took a walk over to the neighbors today to help him haul in a small PU load of firewood that he had bought. As I walked long the road to his place I saw a large patch of Daffodils sticking up out of the ground. They were up maybe a inch or so and several blooms were showing their heads. The warm snap must have fooled them into thinking spring was just around the corner, :lol: I do love to see the daffodils bloom in the spring, it really lifts my spirits with their color and beauty. Since everything is pretty brown and dead around here for the winter, the hope of the spring planting season being 2 months away does help me get through the dark gray days of winter. Maybe the heavy snow this weekend will brighten things up a bit and make things look fresh and clean. Fresh snow does make everything look so nice.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:20 am

I'm jealous of your snow, and warm spell also. We haven't had any snow to speak of yet this season, although that's not terribly unusual, I always hope it's gonna be a big snow year. I can't get enough of the stuff!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:39 am

We are 1/2 inch above normal snow fall for the this time of year, just over 19 inches so far. I only know this because it was on the 6 o'clock news tonight. :lol: We are to get 3 to 6 inches by Friday, maybe a bit more over the weekend. :D
pa_friendly_guy

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:55 pm

It is the beginning of March and the 8" of snow we got this week is melted and the sun was out and the temperature was 72* this afternoon. I have not been getting out side much because it has been so cold, but today I was out all afternoon. The Robins are back en mass, They may have been around for awhile but today was the 1st day that I really noticed them. They were everywhere, it was wonderful to see then pecking at the yard again. They truly mean Spring around here. There were also a goodly number of flies out today. I assume the warm temperature caused them to hatch. Maybe the sub-freezing temperatures on Wednesday will kill them, :lol: I got to BBQ last night and again today for my sons and their kids. We even pumped up the tires on all the Bikes and the Grandkids got to ride around outside. I did work a bit in the Garden after Church, hauled 10 loads of stuff, mostly rocks that I dumped in a low area I am filling in with the stones. All in all it was a Great day to be in the Country. :D
Last edited by pa_friendly_guy on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby Myrth » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Rain here continues, and we are now into mud season, that time of late winter into early spring when every trip to the barn, involves mud trying to suck the boots off your feet!
Myrth

Postby DevilsBrew » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:24 am

xxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:04 pm

I enjoy the Butterfly Garden. It lifts the Spirits.

pa_friendly_guy

Postby DevilsBrew » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:13 pm

Beautiful.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout