Mother Earth News Fairs

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Mother Earth News Fairs

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks for the link. Shippensport is the closest to me, I checked map quest and it is 75 miles away. The Westinghouse test reactor at Waltz Mills has been shut down I believe, it is only 20 miles away. The problem with the Nuclear Reactors is the electric to cool them in a disaster. The one in Japan was well built and with stood the earth quake no problem. They had on site emergency generators to power the water cooling system that was working fine after the quake. Then the tsunomi came and the water washed out the generators. One generator was high enough to survive the water and that kept 2 out of the 4 reactors that were operating at the time [ 2 were shut down ] going with cooling water. The other 2 melted down pretty quickly and blew the thick concrete dome off when they exploded. The nuclear core takes about 3 years to completely cool down after it is shut off, so the water cooling systems are mandatory. In the USA we now Mandate the power companys to have at least 1 weeks worth of diesel fuel on site to run the emergency generators that power the cooling system in an emergency. Mr Steins point was that in a true emergency they may not be able to get fuel to the plants in a week and they would blow. That is why he felt you needed to put some distance between you and the Nuclear plant, and do it ASAP befor others realized what was going on and clogged the roads with mass panic mobs. Even in Katrena help was coming in a week, so it would have to be worse than that, and more wide spread so that there would be less help to spread over a larger area. A disaster of that size can of course happen, think Biblical, but I think I will have other things to worry about if that happens.

PS. I just found out that Shippensport has been decommissioned, :D :D So no worried here. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:25 pm

The Mother Earth News Fair starts this Friday. Is anyone planning on attending this year? I will be there Saturday with the electric car club. They are having an electric car show and have invited clubs from all over the east coast to participate. There will be a variety of veh including at least one Testa there. Last year was great, I expect this year to be even better. If you plan on attending just stop by and ask for me, I will be glad to give you the 50 cent tour of the Hill. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby GrahamB » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:51 am

I'm dragging the family to the one in Kansas next month. I'm looking forward to hearing Joel Salatin speak. This is one of those times I wish the USA was a little smaller so we could have one fair near enough for all of us to meet up.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:46 am

Guy, so far as I know at the moment, Charlotte and I will be there Friday and Saturday. We will look for you at the car display, now that I have an idea of where to find it!

Graham, I was talking to another friend about the fair in Kansas next month. She has never been to one and wants to try it out. I don't have enough clones to see everything I want to at one shot. If there get to be definite plans, I'd love to do a meet and greet.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:45 am

Its good to hear that you and Charlotte will be coming in to the Burg again Lolly. I hope to see you both again. I did get some of the milk weed to grow, Not many for all the seed pods you gave me, but a few grew. I should have them now permanently for the butterflies. The car show is in the upper parking lot by the convention center. If I am not there just ask Jon or Bonnie where I went, they should know. If you want any more Babies Breath just stop by on your way through, you know I have plenty to spare.
Graham I am sorry that you can't make it, you would enjoy the event. But I hope you enjoy the one closer to you. It would be nice for us all to get together some time, but the distance sort of make that very hard. I guess we will have to just stay internet Friends. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby DevilsBrew » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:39 pm

I may or may not be going. I have only heard good things about the event.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby GrahamB » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:15 am

Guy, it just shows what a great thing the internet is when used properly. All of us here would not have learned as much as we have, or gotten to know a great bunch of people if it weren't for the internet.
I don't know if I have ever mentioned it, but the internet is how I met my wife. We are both history nuts and were in the same MSN history chatroom. To make a long story short. this English country boy is now an American country boy. :D
Lolly if you can make it, then it would be great to meet up. I'll probably have my tablet with me, so we can message each other to make plans.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:16 am

Guy, I would love to bring back some more baby's breath. {I'll pack some pots this time} Maybe if the roots don't dry out on the 6 hour trip back home I'll stand a better chance of the cuttings pulling through. I'm glad to hear that you got some milkweed to grow for you. I've really enjoyed the butterflies this year!

Graham, I am still tied to my desktop computer and haven't even graduated to a smart phone yet, but I can text! As soon as I know what will be happening, I'll send you a message.

When I called today to order advance tickets, I heard that the Salatin lecture may be very hard to get into this time. The fellow on the phone said that a VIP ticket would guarantee a seat, but they don't have any left for this week in PA. :( I suppose missing that particular segment of the upcoming weekend might really encourage me to make the trip to Kansas.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:38 pm

His lecture [ Salatin ] was standing room only, out side, in the rain, 45 min before he was to speak. It was held in their largest tent which held several hundred as well. Fortunately I had an unbrella and was Just out side the tent at a good spot to see and hear. He was well worth standing in the rain to hear. If you have the chance to hear him I would strongely recommend taking the opertunity, he is well worth the time.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:11 pm

By the way Devilsbrew, if you happen to make it to the event stop by the Electric Car area and ask Jon or Bonnie for the Guy from their club with the Fiero, they will know how to find me Saturday if I don't happen to be at the display. I should be there all day, but I do plan on attending some of the lectures.
pa_friendly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout