Mother Earth News Fairs

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Mother Earth News Fairs

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:43 am

I don't know how I missed that, Guy!? I've read many of your posts talking about the electric car club but totally missed your thread. Either way, that is very cool. It's on my to-do list... someday. Too bad you don't get a better range, but still a seriously cool thing!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:57 pm

I bought it because I thought it would be cheap, and I could justify [ Almost ] the cost to the powers that be at my place, and it would be a FUN Play Toy. I had no allusions about replacing my normal ride with the Electric Veh. I watched the film " Who Killed The Electric Car " and it made me so mad that I had to buy one. We had the technology back in 1999 to make an electric car that went 80 mph and went 80 miles on a charge and we through it all away. The Battery that GM sold to Chevron will come off patent next year, they have kept it suppressed since they bought the Battery. I know a guy who bought a Toyota Rav 4 with that battery system. Its a 2004 experimental car, he has 153000 electric miles on the car and has never changed a battery. I think Toyota made about 300 of then before the battery was suppress by Chevron. You see them on E-Bay on occasion, they sell for around $25,000, they are a good electric veh. Ed Biggley has one. My car cost $3500 in comparison and runs on Lead Batteries, its a trade off. I could afford the $3500, I couldn't afford $25,000. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby DevilsBrew » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:19 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby DevilsBrew » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:21 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby GrahamB » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:22 pm

They've finally set the Kansas venue. It's Topeka at the Expocenter. A little bit farther than Lawrence but still doable in about four hours. We are planning on getting an adventure van like Matt's this year, so we can go up and camp this time. I love that the kids are more excited than I am about going. They had a blast last year.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby Lollykoko » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:33 pm

I guess I need to get out a calendar and start looking for travel companions. I'd like to be able to make it to Kansas this year, too.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:25 pm

I attended the Mother Earth News Fair last weekend. The Electric Car Club had over $500,000 worth of Electric Cars there. When we 1st went there we took 2 cars, my conversion unit and Jon's 1980 Jet Industries Dodge and one electric lawn mower. This year we had a Tesla, several Volts, several Leafs, a BMW i3, a Mitsubishi, a Ford, Toyota Rav 4 , as well as several Conversion units. There were people there who brought cars from as far away as North Carolina and DC. We were the 1st event to kick of National Electric Car week. It was great. There is an Electric Auto event at Heinz field this Sunday that expects over 30 cars. We had a lot of interest in the cars, gained 4 new members for the club and showed many people that electric cars do work. I also got to see Lolly and her friend at the event. We spent some time together and attended a seminar together. She bought a lot of stuff that I am sure will make her life way better, 8-) and enjoyed the event as much as I did. There were many seminars on many various topics and I learned a lot. It was a very worth while event and I recommend it to everyone in the group. From what I have heard the one here at Seven Springs is the largest one held through out the country.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Sounds like a great time, Guy. What a timely discussion, too. I've really been struggling with my car stuff lately. I drive a lot for work and it just burns me up. I have a fairly efficient compact car but even that is still sucking gas. It has been in the shop lately so I've been forced to use my truck and that thing just gulps the gas down. With all the self-sufficient things I have going on at my place I'm really embarrassed to be at the gas station filling up... :oops:

Funny thing is, I was into electric cars and motorcycles long before getting interested in raising my own food or burning wood.... and I still drive a petrol engine. I've got to get working on this. :idea:
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:17 pm

The Electric cars of today will do at least 90% of your normal day to day driving. If you want to take a vacation in say Yellowstone Park, just rent a car for the trip. Rent a Cadillac for that matter, ride in the lap of Luxury if you want. We as Americans do not think like that, we buy a car to take the vacation for one or two weeks a year and dump gas into it year round. The normal family with 2 cars can certainly have one electric and one gas car. Electric cars make so much sense at this point, even if you buy your electric from the dirtiest coal fire power plant in the country you are still not producing as many emissions as a gas car because of the efficiency of the electric motor. We are starting to see more and more electric cars on the market, its time has come.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby DrewInToledo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Guy, Id love to own an e-car!! It would give me a place to dump off excessive solar on those shiney days. Ive entertained an electric water heater but i just cant afford the real estate in my utility room for an additional dihydrogen monoxide heater. ;)

An alternative to electric would be a very efficient dino-burner... I almost bought a 3 wheel vehicle my friend built: http://www.briery.com/vortex/ I hesitated and he sold it for about $5k. It was fully custom so repairs would have been more challenging but it would have been a fun ego boosting head turner.

I've had my eye on the 84 mpg elio for just over $6k but some think its a hoax: http://eliogenuine.eliomotors.com
I have a friend who opted in at the $1k level so ill wait to see what happens with his investment.

In the meanwhile, ill keep waiting for the electric car prices to drop. Id love to see a small truck electric offering, like the s10 or something like that.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout