Mulberry Pickin Collins Style

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Mulberry Pickin Collins Style

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:48 pm

I was up in the Mountain a couple of days ago talking with a friend. She had several Mulberry trees growing in her yard. She told me that she would invite me back when they fruit. There is a Cardinal there that thinks those trees are his however, so she said I may have to fight him for the fruit. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:48 am

I am thinking about planting 2 mulberries this spring. I saw a white variety from Millers nursery in NY state and a blue variety from Gurneys Nursery. The Blue variety seemed to need 2 to pollinate, the white one didn't talk about needing 2. What is the taste difference between the blue ones and the white ones? Does any body have any advise or a real preference between the two as far as taste or growth patterns or northern hardiness ? I have bought stuff from Gurneys before and it seemed to do OK here on the hill. Millers is from Up State NY so they are as cold or colder than I am here so their stuff should do fine here. I did speak to a friend who has bought stuff from them and felt they were good to deal with. I plan on buying most of my trees this spring from Millers, but they do not offer a blue Mulberry tree. I may be ordering some other stuff from Gurneys as well, so the cost of shipping really isn't an issue in my decision. I kind of liked the idea of the blue for making wine and pies and jams. I have never tasted either type, so I am flying blind here guys. Any comments to give me some guidance would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Lollykoko » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:08 pm

Guy, all I know about Miller's Nursery is that the fellow who provides trees for the nursery / garden center of a local big box store suggested Millers as a source.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:40 pm

A fellow that I have gotten to know well though my oldest sons church said that he has used them and felt they were fine to deal with. He did not have anything bad to say about them or the stuff he bought through them. I liked the idea that they were located in Upstate NY because it gets cold up there. My middle son lived in Utica NY for several years. When he 1st moved there the weather report was for from 1 ft to 4 feet of snow, his comment to me was, " Dad, I have never had a Snow that I couldn't measure with a Yard Stick " :lol: He was maybe an hour east of the finger lakes where Millers is located. The lakes do really help to moderate the cold, they have a lot of fruit production up there, especially grapes for wine. I still feel a little bit more confident buying from a Northern Nursery as far as winter hardiness goes. I am sure that George feels the same about buying from a southern nursery for heat tolerant plants. It just makes sense to me that if a tree has been growing in Upstate Ny then it should grow here. Yes I know they most likely start the seedlings inside a green house, but as they grow I am sure they have been set out side because of space limitations. So they have survived at least one Northern winter, maybe two. :)
pa_friendly_guy

Previous

Return to The Hangout