[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Newbie here wanting to learn

Newbie here wanting to learn

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Newbie here wanting to learn

Postby boo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:07 am

G'day
I just found this forum and was very impressed with the civilised discussion that takes place here, so I thought I would register (rather than lurk). I've not had any "proper" permaculture education - I just get down and get dirty in my little plot of earth and would like to learn from those who are making it work. I'm not on a farm...I don't even have a large backyard.....it's more like a large L shaped corridor but I'm packing the plants in (natives, fruit trees, vines & groundcovers) however, I'm not even sure that I'm doing it right! I'm in Australia....central victoria.
boo

Re: Newbie here wanting to learn

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:40 pm

It sounds to me that you are well on your way Boo. I do not think that there is a Magic Formula that must be followed to make things work. I think you try things, see what works in your space, with your conditions, and go from there. You will make mistakes, you will rip things out and move them, you will rip things out and try different varietys because that 1st one didn't work. you will have things that just die. Its all OK, learn from the Land. I planted an apple orchard some years ago, I had 3 Baldwin apple tree in the orchard. All 3 of them died, so I just figured God didn't was Baldwin apples on my hill and I planted MacIntosh which grew great for me. Good Luck.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby boo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Thank you.....very wise advice.
boo

Postby matt walker » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Welcome Boo. Yep, what Guy said. No one else is in your shoes on your land with your desires, so learn as much as you can and do what works for you on your land. I don't think we'll ever be done learning about any spot we choose to "adopt." I look at stuff I did 4 years ago and shake my head, wish I knew more then. Then I do that same thing with something I did last week. Lol. The joy is in the learning man, just dive in. You can't really do it wrong. At least, I don't think so.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby boo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:09 am

boo

Postby matt walker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:26 am

It's another one of those Learning Experiences! How about setting it on some decomposing stuff during the cold months? A compost pile, a hugel bed, uh, other dead things. Sounds like you are really close to the edge of it's range. I think you'll get it.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Well Boo, maybe God just doesn't want Bananas growing at your place, ;) The best heat sink I can suggest would be to plant up against a south facing masony wall. Cement Block, Brick, cobb, anything of that sort. When I worked at an office in town I planted flowers in a large box out front by the entrance door. The box was up against a brick wall and had a canvase awning over it, the brick wall held the heat and the awning seemed to help keep the frost from settling down on the flowers. They bloomed about a month after all the other flowers in town had been killed by frost. There are things that you can do to creat a micro-cliamate. Matts idea of having some Hot Compost should certainly help, but as he said it sounds like you are trying to really push the envolope on this plant. Having the tree expossed with out any protection from the freezing winds could be a problem. If you get below freezing each and every year you need to look at what growing zone you live in and pick plants that will thrive in your climate. You can do things to make it grow where it should not grow, but it will be alot of work.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:14 pm

I live in a Coal Mine town in South western Pennsylvania, there were many Imigrants here from many countrys who came to work the mines. The Italian miners liked figs and brought them here from Home. Figs won't grow here, it is way too cold. The old timers used to grow figs, then each and every fall they would bend the fig tree over and lay them on the ground and cover the whole fig tree with a thick layer of mulch. Next spring they would uncover the tree and set it up right again. My goodness what alot of work, but they had figs that tasted like home. Now that we are into the 2nd and 3rd and even 4th generation later the younger people do not want to work that hard for figs, they buy them at the store. I do not know anything about Banana trees, they do not grow this far north either, but maybe a similar procedure would work for you. If you want to work that hard, lol :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Postby boo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm

boo

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:39 pm

I forgot about you being down under when I suggested a South facing wall. ;) Your drains run backward too don't they, lol Sounds like you have already thought about the heat sink of being planted next to a wall. The awning may help, but hopefully it will not block too much sun. Mine at the office did not block the sum much from the flowers. Good luck, I hope it works for you. I am guessing you are in the middle of winter right now. I on the other hand am in the middle of a heat wave and draught. Many plants in the garden are dying back because of lack of water, even with the double digging and hugelculture beds I have started to add. I have to say that the tomatos and peppers are doing well, and they are both in the hugelculture plots that I have put in the last 2 years. The tomatos are over 6' high and the peppers are producing well. :D
pa_friendly_guy

Next

Return to The Hangout