[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Need help with a project

Need help with a project

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Need help with a project

Postby George Collins » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:40 pm

I saw plans once on how to build a homemade vise that works by transferring the force of gravity from the vertical plane to the horizontal plane. This design seems like it would be the most user friendly of all types of vises when one needs to work quickly and where only moderate pressure is needed to hold an object in place.

The diagram above is the best my limited drawing skills will allow me to produce. Hopefully is will be sufficient for someone to enlighten me on the proper name or, better still, a link to where such plans might be found.
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Re: Need help with a project

Postby matt walker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:11 pm

George, it looks a lot like Graham's hand baler.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:25 pm

I can see where there exists similarities however, the vise referred to pinches an item in the superior aspect of the two vertical boards. The way it works is that the two upright boards are affixed to the lateral aspects of the base and ascend through a common hole made into the board one sits on. When the user rests his body weight on the superior horizontal board, the two upright boards a forced together. This translates the vertical force of the weight of the user to opposing horizontal forces multiplied by the length of the lever arm.

George Collins

Postby George Collins » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:38 pm

George Collins

Postby matt walker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Ah, ok, cool. I've never seen the like. Super simple, really clever. I like it!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33 pm

That is a very good design George. There is a vise called a shave horse that uses your legs to make the preasure to hold the work. here is a link, http://www.greenwoodworking.com/ShavingHorsePlans There are many videos and plans on line, I just picked one, but you can look at other links and see what you like.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby GrahamB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:52 am

That is perfectly simple George. Oh well, another one to add to the 'list'.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby George Collins » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:52 pm

DONE!!!

If I ever do another one, there are some modifications that seem like they might improve the basic design. Here is my thousand words on the considered modifications:

George Collins

Postby matt walker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Cool George! Great video as well. So, did it serve the function or does it need some more tweaking to be satisfactory? I like your proposed changes, looks like it would work well that way.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 pm

I works well but as a stand-beside unit as opposed to a sit-on. The axe head that it held today for reconditioning was held very well. When the task required the axe head to be repositioned, doing so took only a mere fraction of the time it would have taken to accomplish something similar with a manually operated vise.

George Collins

Next

Return to The Hangout