[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Hey Gang...

Hey Gang...

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Hey Gang...

Postby matt walker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:54 pm

Well, I've been struggling with this for the last year, and I thought I'd ask you all what you think.

When I started playing with RMH fireboxes that batch loaded and had windows and stuff last spring, I had an idea of how to share those with folks who might not be inclined to build their own cob heater, or put a drum in their house. A few months after I started playing with my outdoor batch loaders, Peter van den Berg published his horizontal core test results. At the same time, I became aware of the Alliance for Green Heat and Popular Mechanics' Wood Stove Design Challenge.

I decided to throw my idea out there and enter it into the contest, using Peter's design as the heart of it, since he had published hard data and refined the core to a high level of efficiency. Of course I asked him for his blessing before I entered, which he graciously gave to my entry. I registered my intent to enter last October, and submitted my concept in December. Well, much to my surprise, my "Walker Stove" entry was selected as a finalist.

So, for the last 10 months or so I've been working hard to bring the idea to a stage where I had something to bring to the competition. I'm there, I've been testing this thing for the last 6 months or so in it's mostly final stage, and I believe I have something special here.

So, here's where you guys come in. I've got a good job, I love my schedule and what I do, and I'm not sure I want to start a whole other thing. On the other hand, I really believe that I've got a good idea that can do a lot of good, and improve a lot of people's lives. Additionally, you guys know first hand how passionate I am about this technology, and I do want to share. I also feel like I need to see this thought through, that if I walked away from it now I would forever ask myself "what if..." So, I have brought it as far as I can by myself, and to go to Washington D.C. for the competition is a big commitment, let alone expense. If I go, I want to have this thing as a finished product, ready to get out to people.

So, I'm considering doing the whole Kickstarter thing to see if the idea has merit and to raise the funds to build the molds for a production run and to get me and the stove to D.C. This is really outside my comfort zone, and would be a big commitment, but, like I said, I just feel like I can't walk away from it. On the other hand, without funding, I am dead in the water on this one. Building the molds and getting into production, and travel to the competition, are going to run in the tens of thousands of dollars, and frankly, I've got my stoves. Not saying this is a totally selfless pursuit, but just that I can't take it any farther than it is right now without a financial commitment I'm not able to make on my own.

So, I've got my design down, I'm ready to share it with you all and the world, and I believe in it. I want to show people what's possible with this technology, I feel it can truly improve lives. So, yeah, what do you guys think? Do I stay in my comfort zone, and build a couple of these things occasionally for friends and family, or do I go out on a limb and follow this wherever it takes me? Do I do the whole Kickstarter thing, asking folks to join me in bringing this thing to the world, or do I just continue to do as much as I can and be satisfied with what I can do alone? I dunno, this has been on my mind for a long time, and I'd love some feedback. I'm not asking whether or not you'd donate, that's not what this place is for me, which is why I haven't talked about this before. I'm asking your opinion, what would you do? What would you think if I do it?
matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Hey Gang...

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Matt, if we were sitting around chatting over a beverage, I'd wind up asking a bunch of questions that would vary according to your response. But this is probably the first (or only) one to concern yourself with ... Will your current situation have/make time available for you to go to Washington for the competition?

What you are doing is important. It may be vital within a few years. The kickstarter idea sounds grand and I'm sure there would be plenty of interest; hopefully enough to get you the required support. But, if this is an all-or-nothing throw of the dice, are you in a position where "nothing" is something that can be lived with?
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Lolly, thanks so much for the response. It really helps me to talk this through.

I can absolutely make the time to be at the big show in D.C. I can maybe even do it without funding, but I don't see much point if I can't move forward with the project due to financial constraints.

I think I would almost be relieved if it didn't fly, but at the same time of course I would be thrilled if it did. My feeling is I can walk away from it and continue to build them for friends and family, or I can throw this out there and perhaps be able to continue to progress the technology and make these heaters available and a viable choice for heat for a lot of folks who otherwise might not consider them. Frankly, there isn't much difference between funding not coming through and where I'm at now. I've got what I think are good ideas, and the skills and resources(aside from finances) to make them into real products. I plan on sharing it all with the world anyway, so that doesn't really change. The funding would just mean I could have multiples produced and set up a site to sell them so I could put them in lots of people's hands, and really make a difference in the way we heat, the way we treat our environment, and quality of life for the people who invest in them. A big part of the motivation is the Design Challenge. I want to go, I want to reach more people with this stuff, and try to legitimize it in the eyes of folks who might not otherwise take it seriously. As good as others have done with publicity for this style of heater I feel there's been some damage as well created by large claims and people who perhaps judge those claims harshly, which I think casts skepticism on the whole concept. I want to help change that, I believe in this technology completely. It doesn't make much sense to me to spend the thousands of dollars to go there, if I only have one heater and don't have the means to create any more. If I go, which I truly want to do, I want to go prepared. The only way I can do that is with help. If I don't get the help, I'm right where I am now, but at least I tried.

Hmmmm, this helps a lot Lolly, thanks again for the thoughtful response. Keep the thoughts coming if you have more to say.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Lollykoko » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:05 am

Well, I managed to find the Popular Mechanics site that shows the various stoves and explains something about each of them.

Are you thinking of setting up a system to cast burn chambers, then shipping them to prospective buyers with use instructions?
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:59 am

Yes Lolly, that's a big part of my concept for these heaters. There's a little more to it, but for the most part that's the gist of it. I'll be ready to share the whole thing in the coming month or two. The competition is coming up quickly as well, so I'd better get the info together and out there soon.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:59 am

Well Matt, I think you should go to Washington and see if you Win, If you win then go from there, My thinking is if your Walker Stove wins you have some thing to sell. If it doesn't win oh well. You gave it your best shot. But if you win then you have something to sell. That is my opinion. With out the National Prize you do not Much of any thing to sell. The Prize is the National recognition. That is what legitimizes your stove, that is what legitimizes the whole thing. Just my opinion, but I think Wining in DC will carry a lot of weight. I am retired and on a fixed income but I might consider investing in a national prize winner. Just my opinion.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Myrth » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:55 am

How exciting! I voted for your stove. I think you should go to Washington and compete. If you win, then you should do a kickstarter campaign to take it further, if that is your dream. If you could produce them to be affordable, I suspect they would be popular, particularly with the prestige of a win.
Myrth

Postby matt walker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback. I actually don't think there's much chance of winning the competition, and it's not even on my radar as a goal. I believe just being there and having a respectable venue to demonstrate this technology, with unbiased testing on state of the art equipment, is really the bigger success than winning. Our country is so entrenched in the old Franklin Stove as the only viable wood heat source that it will be a miracle if an alternative is the actual winner of this thing. Like I said though, that doesn't matter to me at all. I just want the folks who are on the sidelines on this technology to see what it can truly do.

I also am not sure if I can go without more funding. Well, I can, but I certainly am not interested in risking everything I have going to D.C. to prove a point that other folks might not even be interested in. That's why I'm considering getting funding first. It will let me know whether or not my idea has merit in the eyes of others, before I risk everything on it. Like I said, I have my stove, and I can build these for friends and family. I have a good job I really like, and I've always been able to make a living and provide for myself, so I'm not trying to cash in on this. I believe I have a great idea that can change people's lives for the better while reducing our negative impact on the environment, even if it's only a drop in the bucket.

I dunno though, those are great points, and give me something to think about. It might be a good idea to wait until after the big show to roll out the official introduction. I just have a feeling that once folks see it they are going to want them, and I believe being prepared for that opportunity would be much better than a long, drawn out, "not ready yet." Hmmmm.

I really appreciate the honest feedback from you all. Thank you. Keep the comments coming if you have more thoughts on the subject.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Hey Matt,

It's funny you bring this up because I was driving out to a job site yesterday thinking about how Ray said that his RMH build wouldn't have been possible without the help and photos by you and mannytheseacow and I've been trying to think of a thoughtful response to that.... but anyway I was thinking how you're kinda responsible for all this, all I did was build a stove off of your design and without your "living with a rocket mass heater" video I probably wouldn't have found this website and maybe not even built a RMH. Anyway, long story short I was thinking that you were at the root responsible for the "Walker Stove" to many of us.

SO... in regards to your inquiry, I think you should totally give 100% to this opportunity that you have. Maybe you like your job and life is comfortable, but ground is only broken when you're outside of your comfort zone. I can only speak for myself but I think that financial assistance will find you and make it possible to do what you need to.

I was showing off my stove to someone a couple weeks back and explaining the concept and he was like "oh, yeah, my parents were building something similar for people down in Guatemala for some church mumbo jumbo thing". That kind of took me by surprise that this idea is that common place that developing countries have adopted these ideas yet the good old US of A hasn't brought this to the forefront. Granted there are a lot of lifestyle changes that occur with these stoves and this style of living isn't for everyone, but I say give it your best shot and you'll never say "what if".

If you didn't read the link I sent to PA_friendly_guy last week when his new grandchild came along, check it out. I always endorse being an axe. (though I'm still an axehandle on a regular basis!)
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks Manny, good stuff. You and I think a lot alike, and it helps me so much to hear some reinforcement of that thought that I just have to see where this thing goes. I know I'd regret it if I didn't at least give this opportunity the chance to unfold and show me where it leads. I like the comment about stepping outside my comfort zone. I am not real good at that, but I believe you are correct in that that's often what it takes to reach that next level.

I did read and was really struck by "the pattern is near at hand." Thanks man, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this with me.
matt walker
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Hangout