What did you cook up today?

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: What did you cook up today?

Postby DevilsBrew » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:46 pm

xxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby DevilsBrew » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:30 pm

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby matt walker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:06 pm

That sounds good, cold still here too. Not sure what to cook, but I'm gonna go dig in the freezer shortly here. Chili might be just the thing.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:26 pm

'Tis the season, indeed, for hearty winter stews. I had a venison stir fry with rice last night, cumin and celery. I don't usually think of stir-frys as hearty winter meals but dang it hit the spot on a sub-zero winter night! This is stout drankin weather. :roll:
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby DevilsBrew » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:03 am

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by DevilsBrew on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EatPrayLaugh
DevilsBrew

Postby DrewInToledo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:26 pm

I found a Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS) clone recipe online and thought I'd give it a whirl. I used Safale S-04. Author states an OG 1.092 but I can never seem to hit the desired gravity, nor a proper amount of wort on my two all-grain attempts.
This time I added what I thought was way more water than what Promash told me and I was still under by a gallon. I even did my best to empty the "dead space" by tilting the vessels.
Having said that, I figured my OG would have been up with less liquid. Maybe it's due to boil off? Either way, I'm having a blast and I'll figure it out eventually.

Here's what I'm making. Boy did it come out dark! The OG was around 1.07 at 60.

26.50 lbs pale malt
3 lbs flaked oats
1.5 lb roasted barley
1.5 lb Belgian choc. malt
1 lb Belgian debittered black malt
1 lb 120L crystal malt

Hops

2.0 oz Nugget 13% aa (60 mins)
2.5 oz Willamette 5% aa (25 mins)
3 oz Willamette 5% aa (10 mins)

4.0 oz Belgian bittersweet chocolate (15 mins)
3 oz unsweetened cocoa nibs (15 mins)
4 oz ground Sumatran coffee (flameout)
4 oz cold-brewed Kona coffee (secondary)

American or California Ale yeast

Boil Time 90 mins
IBU. 73
SRM 60
Specific gravity 1.092
Assumed Efficiency 75%

Infusion Mash at 155F for 60 mins. Add Hops, chocolate, and coffee as specified. Ferment for 2 weeks at 65F. Soak .25 oz French Oak chips in one cup Kentucky Bourbon for 2 days. Soak ground Kona coffee in 1 cup boiled, cooled water and leave overnight, covered in refrigerator. Strain out grounds and add cold coffee and bourbon, with wood chips to secondary. Rack fermented stout into this mixture and condition in secondary at 55-60F for 2-6 mos.

First I spun up some S-04 yeast for 5 days on a home made stir plate:

Let the brew day begin!

My OG was a bit low, but the wort was like rich sweet oil. MMmmmmm! This one's going to be good. Too bad I the wait is so long!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby matt walker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Whoah, that is one complex recipe! It sounds amazing though, I'm sure it will be well worth the work and the wait. Between you and Manny I'm going to end up with yet another "hobby."
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Sounds lethal there, Drew. I just made an oatmeal stout that's about ready to drink now. Tis that time of year.

A couple of thoughts- You won't gain anything by spinning your yeast for 5 days. I'd let it go 24 hours max. You want to harvest that super active first colony. After 5 days that stuff is pretty stressed, especially to pitch into a high gravity environment. Unless you are continually adding more malt to the stir-vessel.

As for hitting your gravities- yeah that can be pretty variable until you get your system dialed in. I'm pretty much within 0.002 on most of my beers but that has taken years. With my system I collect 10 gallons and end up with 5. I have the ability to boil off a lot, which you might not have, especially making those 10 gal batches. Collecting that high amount of runoff gets you a super high efficiency, too. You could try a wider, shallower boiling vessel to get higher boil-off rates.

I've got my house ale hand now. I'll post the recipe when I have more time. It makes me totally content. 8-)
mannytheseacow

Postby DrewInToledo » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for the input there, Manny. I do have the ability to boil bunches of liquid off. My burner is 110,000 btu 23tip wok burner. (Google it and youll find it.) It puts out the heat of about a thousand suns. :) i started with 17 gallons and ended up with about 9.
Im starting to believe that the gravity is a function of my crush width on the mill. I use a local hb store so i cant fiddle with the adjustment. I will prolly be building my own mill so i can get a finer crush. Ill just find the point at which my mash tun clogs and then back off from that crush setting. Thats a pipe dream at this moment.
As for the stir plate, i did add some yeast nutrient and added a dry packet of s-04 about a day before pitching, so i should be good to go.
I picked up some burbon for the recipe yesterday and found jim beams mayple burbon. Oh my. Im not a hard liquor drinker, but this is good sippin' juice!! Im debating wether or not to soak the oak chips in it, or get a conventional burbon. What do ya think? Since i have a few fermentors, i may try 5 gallons of each.
Matt, did you find any brew parts yet? We expect to see you brewing by mid 2014!
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Sorry- not much input on soaking the chips. I've never done much with additives, and that hard stuff all tastes like rubbing alcohol to me! :lol: I stick with the hops-barley-water-yeast tradition.... And occasionally oats. ;)
mannytheseacow

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout