Snow!! Finally....

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Snow!! Finally....

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:04 pm

I was re-reading this thread from 2 years ago and wondered how everyone was fairing this year, especially with all the snow in New England and the current cold snap that is dipping down into the Deep South. Last week is was 54* Sat, this week it was 4* on Sat. The temps are extremely cold now, highs just above 0* and lows well below 0*. Wind chills down to -30* below 0*. Frost bite is definitely an issue if you have to be outside for very long. I worry about people like George and Tru who live in areas that are not prepared for the snow, ice, and freezing temps. At least here in the North we have snow plows and salt so the roads are passable, and people know how to drive on snow covered roads. In case you are wondering, Just Slow Down, take your time and arrive alive. Oh, the other thing is that ALL cars have 4 wheel stopping, so even though a 4X4 PU will go in the snow, it will not stop any quicker than your 2 wheel drive car. I see a lot of people around here with 4X4 trucks going like crazy but they can't get stopped at a stop sign when they get there. Stay warn everyone, keep your wood stoves fired up, and stay indoors if you don't have to go out.

PS Phil seems to be right ,at least so far. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:21 pm

Wow, I've never seen this thread before so it's the first time seeing those photos of your place, Guy. What a beautiful place. I love the stairs... very park-like.

Cold here, like always. No problem though. Hope the Southern folks stay warm!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:58 pm

I've been trying to bite my tongue, when the East coast gets the frigid northern air it's usually because of a big high pressure ridge over us. It's been 60F and spring/summer for weeks here now. Things are blooming, it's t-shirt weather. I have new lambs and have been fencing and planting and digging and dropping trees for light, there are greens in the greenhouse and tomato starts are up and well underway behind me on the bench. Sorry Guy! Hang in there!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby Bobwieser » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:43 pm

We had a slow start for snow with a big one for Thanksgiving. Now with so many back to back storms it's getting deep. A few mornings ago mount Washington was the 2nd coldest wind chill on earth at -70 F. Second to Antarctica. Here is a few pics. around my house.
My dome is in there.
The way to travel.
Nice start to the day.
Bobwieser

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Budwieser, you have it a lot worse than we have it here. Looks like you have over 3 feet on the ground. I like the old veh on the trailer, notice I did not call it a car. even though it may have started its life as a car. It looks like a fun veh to play around with. Its ash wed and we had a snow storm hit here about 3:30 so the roads are all covered. I still plan on venturing out, but I may have to debate about it. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Bobwieser » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:35 pm

Guy the veh is not mine, I saw it in a parking lot and had to get a picture of it. It's a 1930, I like old stuff and think that's cool. We do have about 3' of packed snow on the ground. I know 1 storm a short while ago was 33" and a 12" storm is getting to be routine around here. Thank the Lord I don't live in Buffalo NY.
Bobwieser

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Some one just sent me a bunch of photos of Buffalo with the caption " This is why no one retires to Buffalo " , it showed doorways from inside the house completely covered with snow, roof tops with 4 feet of snow cover, a garage picture from inside the garage with a snow blower sitting by itself and the door opening completely covered with snow and a car driving down the road with 4 feet of snow on its roof. The pictures really showed how bad it can be with that much snow. Not really too bad here now, maybe 4 inches on the ground, maybe a bit more tomorrow, it has been awhile since we have been above freezing outside, a week or more of below freezing temps. This weekend we are having a heat wave, 33* Sat for a high, Sunday will be 38*.

Thanks Manny for the compliment on how my place looks. it has been a labor of love, and many years in the making. Like I always say, The Lord and I have made a beautiful place here on the Hill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but you should have seen it when the Lord had it all to himself. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Man, Buffalo can send all that snow my way. I'll take all the snow I can get. No backcountry snowboarding this year, we haven't had hardly any.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Lollykoko » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:19 pm

We haven't had much snow in my area this year. There was one fall that prompted me to get out the shovel and make my way from the front door to the car. The plow had been by early that morning so I did have to clear a little space around the tires to ensure that I could get away from the curb. It melted off the hard surfaces within a few days. Subsequent snowfalls haven't' been enough accumulation to worry about.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:55 pm

Its March 1st and March is coming in as a Lion around here. Snow early, then freezing rain, then more snow. If things work as usual, if March comes in like a Lion, it will go out as a Lamb. That suits me just fine. :lol:
pa_friendly_guy

Previous

Return to The Hangout