Craigslist score of the week

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Craigslist score of the week

Postby mannytheseacow » Thu May 01, 2014 11:38 pm

Super insulated hog waterers, 3 for $20. Good for sheep and goats, too. The idea is you don't need to have a heated waterer in the winter. As long as you have enough livestock using them they will keep it ice free.

I like that they have an opening on each end. I can use one for a primary waterer during the coldest part of winter, but then during kidding season I can put the extras in the kidding pens with one end of the waterer in one pen and the other end in the adjacent pen. I'll build the pen around the waterer.

So does no one else shop the craigslist or what? I was traveling for work this week and looked on craigslist in the town I was visiting and there wasn't much there. Maybe my local craigslist just rocks? I dunno.

>)))*>
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby Lollykoko » Fri May 02, 2014 1:37 am

I know folks who visit Craig's List frequently. I'm not one of them. I don't even visit that on-line auction site that my brother likes so well. You see, I am a sucker for a good deal. If I don't look, I don't spend.
Lollykoko

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri May 02, 2014 11:59 am

You make a really good point, Lolly. I don't buy things unless I need them, and just looking at Craigslist makes me all that much more inclined to buy. I take a more voyeuristic approach and watch what things are going for but generally don't act. When it comes to actually needing something, like fencing or a log splitter, I keep my eyes open for a good deal rather than go down to the big box and buying stuff. In the case of the wood splitter, I was watching for over 4 years for the right opportunity.

I don't do the online auction site either, mostly because I've never set up the accounts or done the online banking and such. I try not to deal with money any more than I have to in my life. What little cash I do have has been generated by selling things on the list and when I need to buy something it comes out of that "slush fund" if you will. Doing without is always the best principal. :) Not to mention, it serves an additional purpose by letting someone else use my extra items when I don't need them anymore, or letting someone else store my junk for me... just depends on how you look at it. :lol: Or perhaps we're all just storing each other's junk! :lol:
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri May 02, 2014 12:41 pm

I don't go to Craigs list, but I love to go to flea Markets and auctions and I always find treasures that I just have to have and can't like with out. :lol: That is why I do not go to them very often. I always spend money. :lol: I have been going on Freecycle a lot. The idea is to keep usable things out of the Land fill. If you have 2 yr old baby cloths and your baby is now 4 you offer it free to anyone who can use it. You do not have to take the 1st person to apply, you can pick who you want, it is a great program and my local one has good a moderator and is well run, not all of them are around the country. I have received 4 wooden chairs that I use on my porch, several cedar chests, antique office chair, metal filing cabinet, metal swing, sewing machine motor, several dressers, many flowers, plants, bushes, and the like. I have given away as well. A micro wave, dishes, lamps, flowers and bushes, bathroom cabinet, canister set, bed, mirror, and some other things I can't think of right now were all on the list. Get things you need and give away things you don't need, win win as far as I am concerned. :D Oh, and did I mention that it has to be Free, you are not allowed to offer to pay and ask for any payment . I love it. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri May 02, 2014 3:36 pm

That sounds great, Guy. We don't have that free cycle thing by me but I would definately do that if it was an option. I really hate doing the whole money transaction thing and it gets so frustrating when people want to haggle and such. I tend to pick up a lot of stuff free, too, and just give a lot of stuff to goodwill or salvation army. But for things like fence wire and hog waterers...
mannytheseacow

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:37 pm

Today was a great day. After more than a year of having my old potbelly stove on craigslist I finally got a taker. The sale easily paid for all the copper, fireclay, vermiculite, and mortar that I have in my rocket mass heater, twice.

Sayonara, sucka.
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:22 am

Ha! That's great. Time for another build!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:41 pm

Time for another build is right. I was looking at my cast molds all weekend and definately itching to get started. I was tentatively planning to make a trip to buy more fireclay friday but as is my back won't be able to handle the loading/unloading. Soon enough, though, or as soon as possible.
mannytheseacow

Previous

Return to The Hangout