Craigslist score of the week

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Craigslist score of the week

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:02 am

Indeed, powered by fossil fuels, but I just couldn't pass this one up. 27 ton ram, 6.5 horse 4-stroke, like-new condition. Anyone else out there trying to split red elm by hand will identify!

"A fool and his money are easily separated" Not sure if the fool is me or the guy that sold it. I got hell of a deal on it!
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Re: Craigslist score of the week

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:31 am

Nice one, I am sure it will come in handy and save you a ton of work, maybe even 27 tons. ;)
I went in on a 27 ton splitter a year or so ago, there are 4 of us in on the deal. We also found a good used one. I do not regret the purchase one little bit. The last one to use it has to store it. I try to time my uses so that I am not last. 8-)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:47 pm

HEY! What a fatcat, running gas through his machine all day to split wood. In my day we were lucky to have another piece of wood to hit the first one with.

Can you tell I'm jealous? Damn it dude, nice freakin' score! Someday I'll find mine, in the meantime I'll just be stoked for you. That's gonna be a god send. I'll be curious to hear your take on splitting with a machine. I've never had the pleasure.

I just scrolled back up and realized I'm jealous of your snow too!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby GrahamB » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:16 pm

We had a huge white oak dropped in the front yard last year and I had it cut into eighteen inch pieces. Then I found out how freaking tough that stuff is to split with a maul and wedges. I was moaning about it to my buddy at work and he said "No problem, I'll bring my splitter round after church on Sunday. The I went down with a bug and was in bed most of the weekend. He still came with his brother and split the whole lot for me. I now have a rick and a half of oak stacked in the barn. The whole time he was here, I just sat on a stump and shivered, getting more and more envious of that splitter. If there was one internally combustible powered piece of engineering I was allowed to have, it would be a splitter. Heck you could even adapt it for a cider press!
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:53 pm

Sounds like you've got some good people around you, Graham. Thanks for you're comments, guys, I'm feeling a little better about picking this thing up. I haven't even used it yet. I've been splitting a little by hand as needed. I usually go through most of my pile by hand but inevitably end up with a good size stack of crotches and miscuts that can't be done. Seems like the hottest day in July is usually when I get to borrow somebody's splitter to do the work. Hopefully I can incorporate this into my system so that things get a little more efficient... ie. I'll be splitting by hand on the hottest day in July :roll:

Maybe I'll reach the dream and get a year ahead on my splitting.

Oh yeah, and the snow has been great this year! We usually only get enough snow to hit the backcountry a couple of times a year but there's been enough snow all winter this year and we never run out of clean tracks. Another several inches coming today!
mannytheseacow

Postby GrahamB » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 am

Manny I have been taking advantage of the snow too. I now know exactly where the deer are coming or going over the fence line, as well as the coyotes. I pretty much know where every rabbit lives on my place too. We have one coyote that has prints nearly twice the size of any others. I may need to meet with him some night as he has checked out my barn a couple of times and I have the meat rabbits in there.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:41 pm

Score of the week: Free computers. Two desktops and a laptop. Took 'em straight to the big box store to recycle them, but not without having my way with them first.

Fans and heatsinks, and by the way, Matt, these little circular things wrapped with copper wire- can I use these for the step-up transformer?

I've been staying out of the "electricity generation with wood heat" discussion 'cause I got nothing to add. That might change soon.
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Ha! That's the stuff Manny, I've got a box full. Those torroids can be used to make the circuit, fans for blowing through ducting, heat sinks for the TEGs. I figured you needed another hobby!
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Right on. Now I gotta buy one of those TEGs and sit down and use my brain. Yuck. Really looking forward to this project though.
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Buy a few, you'll cook a couple on the way to figuring it all out.
matt walker
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Hangout