What's on your mind?

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: What's on your mind?

Postby Colorado » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:47 pm

Silverflame
Happy to see you posting. I am still here in this ding town and will be, Trying to get started on making quilts. Got the stuff to do it. Seems I spend the time cutting rags for my son. Been hunting patterns for panel quilts . Good one found me. RA is still bave in hands and wrists but better than was. I am still up and going at 84. Bision worse.
Colorado

Re: What's on your mind?

Postby mannytheseacow » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:25 pm

So there were just like 20+ people online at this site and no one posted anything... jeez, share what you're doing, would ya? :roll: ;)

Anyway, I wanted to share something I've been involved with for a while now. Myself and two other individuals resurrected our county's horticultural society over the last year. We had a horticultural society back in the 1800's that was responsible for selecting and breeding a majority of apples and grapes that are found around the county today. The group went defunct after those individuals moved on, I guess... much like our new group will once we all move on.

We started by hosting local food dinners. The point is teaching people how to cook with things that we are growing that they might not be familiar with. The cost is virtually nothing; we get about dozen people together and do a cooking demonstration and then eat dinner together. We've been doing these every 2 - 3 months, even through the winter, and inviting different people to each one.

Come early spring we started doing garden tours to learn about all the different aspects of food production. We see the full gambit, from commercial ag, community gardens, CSA growers, organic growers, local restaurant suppliers. It's been great. Just absolutely great. A real learning experience at each place, and a reminder that we are all different, have different needs, different land and conditions to work with, different end products, and in the big picture, we're all really the same as far as our aspirations and motivations.

I've just been amazed at how open everyone is to having groups of people over, talking about what they do, and sharing their tricks and tips.

So, whatever you are doing- get out there and talk to people. Share what you do, and learn what others are doing.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Previous

Return to The Hangout