[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - What's on your mind?

What's on your mind?

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

What's on your mind?

Postby SilverFlame819 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:42 pm

I don't see any threads here for random thoughts and happenings, so thought I'd start one.

For the next 3 weeks, I'm requesting lots of time off work. I'm trying to get all of my paid vacation used up, because they won't do pay-outs for it, and I want to switch jobs as soon as possible. Relisted my 4Runner on classifieds, and hoping to have it sold soon. Don't have too much left to do before moving into the RV, and the earliest I can move out of here is the end of April (when my roomie's friend can move in), so just tying up loose ends until then...

It is pouring rain today. It smells amazing, and I hate that I have to go to work. Can't wait until the time when I can do my own thing, rather than being tied to a dead-end job. Would love to use today for sorting more stuff...
SilverFlame819

Re: What's on your mind?

Postby SilverFlame819 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:31 pm

I find it really hard to get motivated to get up and cleaning when my roommate is sleeping. Granted, it's the middle of the afternoon. I'm just way too nice. :(

I suppose I'll bake some bread and dog treats while he's out... That's a lot quieter than vacuuming. My patience is wearing thin though, so I'll probably turn on some music. The days are too short to spend them waiting for a jobless roomie to wake up, since he's been up all night playing video games.

The idea of living alone is just beyond inviting. I've turned living alone into the equivalent of owning my own kingdom at this point. Oh, to never have to wait for someone to get out of the shower after being in there for NINE hours (not an exaggeration), to never have to have another one of my nice pans scorched, to only have my own dirty dishes in the sink, to never have to walk in the door again to the smell of cat shit or weed, or some horrible air freshener that he's plugged in to attempt to mask the smell... Oh, I could go on for days. This guy is my 7th roommate. Life will be good if I never have to have another.
SilverFlame819

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:18 am

SF, I finally got my kids raised about 20 years ago and learned what it was like to live alone. Not to say I haven't shared house space with grown kids and grandkids or a roommate or two over the years ... but most of those years it has been just me and my own mess. (yes there are dishes in the sink, calling my name)

I only have one bit of advice for you. If you really want a nine hour shower, invest in an on demand, tankless water heater. Make sure it will raise the water temperature enough to make that shower comfortable at the coldest part of the winter season wherever you are. ;)
Lollykoko

Postby SilverFlame819 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:39 am

Oh, sweet Jesus, no! I didn't mean ME! *lol* I meant my roommate. His showers are up to 9 hours long. He literally turns the shower on, lays down in the tub, and goes to sleep. I cannot imagine wasting that much water! Not only is it bad for the environment, but imagine paying that water bill! I'm in the shower 30 minutes absolute max. That's if I'm deep conditioning my hair and shaving every bit of my body that needs shaving! I may be up to 45 minutes if I'm soaking in the tub. Anything longer than that is just insanity. As the roommate, I find it infuriating, because we don't live in the country. I can't just go squat in the woods. Many times I've ended up banging on the door to wake him up. It is just ridiculous and unnecessary.

Living alone sounds awesome to me at this point for so many reasons. Every time I come home and the lights are on and nobody is here, I sigh. It's the little things that add up. I've just had a lifetime of less-than-stellar roomies at this point. I need some freedom and solitude.
SilverFlame819

Postby Lollykoko » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:50 pm

Well, thanks for clearing that up! My youngest son used to climb into the bathtub in the middle of the night and sleep there till folks started moving around. I do know what a city water bill is like and thank goodness there was no shower attached to it!

I've been shower-less for 5 years now. :( Not quite as bad as it sounds, since about one day of working at things would get the job done, if I really pushed for it. However, when I installed the tub it was well insulated for my comfort. I like taking a book with me and soaking for an hour or so at a time. :D Bath salts, aromatherapy, candlelight, cold drink and a good book. What more could I ask for at this stage of life? :lol:
Lollykoko

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:39 pm

"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby SilverFlame819 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:06 am

SilverFlame819

Postby SilverFlame819 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 am

SilverFlame819

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:54 pm

I have read several stories about people who have chosen for various reason to live simply and cheaply in a van or Motor Home. They seemed to universally like the program, of course these where the people who decided to write about their experience. ;) You need to be a minimalist about what you Need vs what you Want in the way of possessions, but it seems they get used to that fairly quickly. You learn quickly what works for you and how you handle life's little problems. Good Luck with your adventure, you never know where it will go, or what adventures are ahead. Enjoy. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Frenchy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:06 pm

I lived in bunk houses an barns for close to 9 years couple times I had small rooms that was mine only (guest ranches an hunting outfitters)...... but even when living in those places I felt more freedom that I do now ........... living with a parent again is HELL hahahaha but a person has to do what has to be done I guess least I am here when she needs me which is more an more often when she does crazy things or forgets things ........ ya gotta love 'em I guess ;) but man I sure hate being here with her hahahahahahaha ......... Angela honey when your in the RV trucking sneak by an steal me on a pass through will ya :lol: :D

and like was said living in a small space ya got to learn what is needed an what is extra weight for all the time I lived on the ranches everything I owned would fit inside a Ford Bronco well at least till the last 3 years then my pony just wouldn't get inside for some reason .........
Frenchy

Location: Western Arkansas ~ between I 40 and I 30 in the Ouachita (Washita) mountains

Next

Return to The Hangout