I buiilt a quadcopter drone & more GoPro video

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: I buiilt a quadcopter drone & more GoPro video

Postby TruGrit » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 pm

... I'd love for someone that had one of these to come to my place and shoot some film ... start in the middle of the property and go as high as it can, circling .. then come down and upload the film to a thumb drive .. wonder if I can find someone local and what they would charge me ... hmm, something else to look into.

.. btw, is there a way to monitor the filming on a laptop real time, or do you have to wait for landing and download?
TruGrit

Postby GrahamB » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:03 pm

Grit, there is a system called FPV (First Person View) that sends the video signal back to the pilot or his partner. They can be viewed real time, either through a small monitor or even special goggles. The military use that method and I have heard recently that Emergency Services are using them to search damaged buildings before sending the rescuers in. I kind of like that idea as I am a member of our local CERT team.
Some copters are also programmed with the building plan so they can navigate doors and windows. From what started out as a nerdy hobby, these things have certainly found their place the modern world.
No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.
GrahamB

Postby DrewInToledo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:05 am

I hope to save up for a pair of Fatshark goggles. These have an rf receiver built in and i already have a transmitter that should do the job. There are other alternatives that use wifi to steam to an iphone or ipad but i wouldnt think the range would be too good.

Trugrit--im hoping to make it to the outer banks this year. And you betcha that im taking the quad with me. If so, maybe i can plan a stop in your area and film your plat.
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby TruGrit » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:28 pm

... although we're a long way from the shore, you are welcome to stop by anytime Drew .. the mind boggles at the thought of real time viewing with one of these things .. that's like CIA kinda stuff ... 8-)
TruGrit

Previous

Return to The Hangout