hello

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

Re: hello

Postby mannytheseacow » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:41 am

Whoops. The book I was referring to is called "The Bread Builders" though that other book is good too.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby thickstrings » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Well I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, I have both of those books. Good stuff. I must confess, I AM A PIZZA OVEN SNOB... If it isn't made of bricks, have a fire burning in it, can cook a pizza in 90 seconds, well, it isn't a pizza oven... just a oven. Don't know for sure but I think you would need a pretty big rocket to maintain pizza oven temps, and no coals inside. Conduction, convection ,and radiation all in one. It is interesting to watch as the oven heats up....the walls are sooty and black, then magic, the walls turn white and you can smell the gases being burnt...and its somewhere in the 700-800f range. And, no smoke....I have to make a better door for mine....it needs to be insulated. Check out http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/ That's where I got my snobery from.....There are a lot of really nice builds on there....
" Life is art...Live a masterpiece"
thickstrings

Postby DrewInToledo » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi TS. Nice to meet you. This is probably one of the most laid back and friendly forums I've found on the net! Good to have you. Do you play bass? ie; thickstrings
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers or coconut meat?
DrewInToledo

Postby thickstrings » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Well hello to you. Yes I play bass. Nice of you to notice. I have made a few also. It got to be diminishing returns....As I no longer live in Dupage county IL., the armpit of the universe, I have moved on to more important things, Like burning stuff. .Long range shooting, and riding lawnmower zen.
thickstrings

Postby mannytheseacow » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:46 am

Dupage? Oh man, my condolences.... I was born there, makes me sick to go there now.

Sounds like you've found a pleasant change of pace.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby matt walker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:02 pm

We are going to have to start up the forum band before too long here. If you care to share a pic of any of your basses TS, I'd love to see 'em. I've only cobbled together parts to make a touring rig I didn't mind breaking, but I've always had the idea of building one from scratch kicking around in my head. Well, maybe not the neck, but, yeah...
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby thickstrings » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:44 pm

I hav'nt made any from scratch either, but, there were a few that were needing to be routed, drilled ,change neck depth...ect. Most of what I have are fretless...and made to suit me. Primarily jazz, fusion....Its been a while since I have played in a band....I know its been a while because I can hardly listen to that stuff anymore...Do you play?
thickstrings

Postby matt walker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Yeah, I do, although it's taken a back seat in my life for the last couple years. But yeah, I've done quite a bit of playing out and about, backing up friends on tour and the like when the opportunity arises. More bass than guitar, but some of each. I still keep the instruments out and try to pick 'em up fairly regularly, but growing stuff and burning stuff seem to fill most of my time. Winter usually finds me playing a lot more.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby thickstrings » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Yeah, I keep a bass and a amp out and play for my own amazement. Good to keep up the muscle memory. You know, I used to live out your way, Mt. Vernon in Skagit county. That was when the volcano was going off....79-81....Used to hang out in Clear Lake and Concrete, Sedro Wooly......Can you still get the ferry in Anacortes?
thickstrings

Postby matt walker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Yep, Anacortes ferry still serves the Islands. I'm out on the Peninsula, so a ways from most of that area, but I spent many years in the North Cascades area as a snow bum. Worked in ski retail in B'ham as a young fella and lived all over up there, from hwy 9 near concrete and on up the Mt. Baker highway as well. I should go back up there this winter, but I doubt I'll make it. Hard to leave the farm these days.

I remember the volcano, I was 10, but I can picture it clearly. We could see the plume, and we had almost an inch of ash at my home outside Seattle. Probably still have jars of it stashed somewhere.
matt walker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout