The Photo Thread

Come on in and hang out

Moderator: matt walker

The Photo Thread

Postby matt walker » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:56 am

Well, I always like these threads on other boards. Post your photos if you've got some you'd like to share. Here's one of my favorites from last spring...

matt walker
Site Admin

Re: The Photo Thread

Postby George Collins » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Debris hut we built in 2009.

Swimmin lessons at the fishin hole:

One I almost put my hand on:

American Ceasars mushroom

Two I almost stepped on while wearing crocs (them's Timber Rattlers makin whoopie):

Me planting my first American chestnut seed into a pretty little hog-wire cage soon thereafter destroyed by an infernal cow:

Toby Hemmingway told me I shouldn't have done this:

But he's ok with this:

Oak Alley Plantation in Vacharie LA (the mist photographed house in the US so I heard and the original inspiration in a few respects to my own home:

Sunrise over Lake Washington which is an ox bow lake of the Mississippi River in Washington County Mississippi and arguably the best catfishing hole in the world:

Just in case there might be some sicko that sees pictures of my kids and have inaporopriate thoughts:

And then again up close doing 2 to the body and one to the head while moving on the left oblique:
"Solve world hunger, tell no one." "The, the, the . . . The Grinch!"

"If you can't beat them, bite them."
George Collins

Postby George Collins » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Some of these photos were taken in landscape mode. For some reason those taken in landscape were cropped. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix?

George Collins

Postby matt walker » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:02 am

The software just crops the view depending on your screen settings, I discovered. I think it's cool, it keeps the whole page from blowing up but keeps the photo large. To see the whole thing right click and "view image" or just change your text size by ctrl+ or ctrl -.

Great photos George, thanks for sharing. That plantation is something else, and I love seeing the country down there. Just fabulous.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:29 am

Can anyone guess the identity of the two plants featured most prominently in this photo?

George Collins

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:50 am

Walnut tree and tomato plant?
Lollykoko

Postby George Collins » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:01 am

Lolly,

Your plant identification skills were certainly up to that challenge. Not that either of those plants are hard to identify individually, but . . . well, you know that whole thing about black walnuts and tomatoes?

Pops certainly proved me wrong when I saw him setting out his tomato seedlings last year. Conversation went something like:

"Youngblood (that's what everyone calls my daddy), you know them t'mater plants ain't never gunna grow up under that black walnut tree."

"Why not?"

"Well, that black walnut has jooglone in it and it'll whurp up on a mater plant in a fair fight."

"Hell boy . . . you can't b'leeve all that racket you hear. I been a growing t'maters in that very spot ever since I set that tree out back, . . . oh I guess it's been better'n ten year now. I ain't went hungry for a t'mater yet."

"A'ight then. We'll see."

And once again, like so many other times when I tried to go against pops on some matter of gardening, I ended up looking like a fool, bumming tomatoes off of the very vines I told him were doomed.

George Collins

Postby Lollykoko » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Well, I do have acres and acres of black walnut trees, George. I know there are several other varieties of tree that have a similar leaf pattern, but I don't know them by name. Tomato is pretty common and easy to identify. I've heard the same thing about not being able to grow tomatoes near walnut trees, which is why I included the question mark.
Lollykoko

Postby matt walker » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Yep, I've even advised a friend to move his garden farther from his black walnut tree. It appears I'm wrong, again. Great example of experience trumping book learnin'.

Man, I looked at your photos again. Those snakes! We don't have any snakes here to speak of, and I've always thought of myself a guy who likes snakes, or isn't bothered by 'em. Those would bother me!

Also, George, are those all your kids? Great crew you have there.

Ah, one more question, what was it Mr. H advised you against?
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby George Collins » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:39 pm

The kids in and around the boat:
- The one in the middle of the boat is my brother's eldest
- The rest are most of mine. Absent from the photo are my eldest and youngest, both sons. The child standing outside the debris hut is my youngest.

As for the Mr. H question, the answer was given PM.

George Collins

Next

Return to The Hangout