[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Newbie - Rocket Mass Heater Build

Newbie - Rocket Mass Heater Build

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Newbie - Rocket Mass Heater Build

Postby matt walker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:10 pm

I love hearing about your house building plans. I hope you'll let us follow along as you build it, I bet it's going to be amazingly comfortable.

Can't wait to see your next heater build/builds as well. I learn so much with each new build, I'm sure you've already got a host of new ideas to incorporate. Thanks for the update.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby tt10_99 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:20 am

I am a newbie also... So glad to finally find you... I saw your design on U tube and went and built a 12 ft long one in the middle of our winter . Then tried to message you there but it would not let me...
Had to deal with frozen clay ... Frozen everything... 20 hours later got it done... I am not sure if i built it right. It is smoking but do not know if that is because it is having problems drying or I did something wrong... I built it for my greenhouse which is about 18 by 40 was supposed to be 12 by 20 but mistakes are made... Any insight on why it smokes so much unless i get it really hot. Been very busy the last week so have not put any time into getting it fully dry....and having issues with batch opening which will repaired... But does it stop smoking once it is dried. I have vented the smoke out of the greenhouse now .
tt10_99

Postby matt walker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:56 am

Well, let's try to figure it out. Can you post photos? Maybe start a new thread here and we can try to get it running for you.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Glad you joined us tt10-99. I am sure that you can get some help and support here from the group. Matt is the resident expert on RMH's and he is always ready to lend a hand. The cobb might steam as it dries off but it sounds like you have a problem with excess smoke going out the exhaust pipe. That would mean an inefficient burn to me. Matt can talk about the causes of that better than I can. The stove may not be drawing quite right for some reason. I agree that pictures would be a huge help in finding the problem. Good Luck.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Oddmar » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Darrell "Jake" Jacob, Oddmar on all the forums, KC9PZN to all you amateurs.
Oddmar

Postby matt walker » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:11 pm

I would if I could, we don't have any pests like that here. Well, spiders I guess, but the worst are the brown recluse and you pretty much never see 'em except hiding in the woodpile.

I've only helped on one light straw/clay build, and it had a suspended wooden floor.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:42 pm

I do not have those kinds of pests here up North either oddmar. I guess that if I was new to the area I would follow the wisdom of the Locals who have lived there all their lives and have experienced those problems 1st hand. Of course since I am sure that none of the Locals have ever actually built a straw bale building they could be mistaken, ;) If you get it sealed well with cob and plaster right down to the cement foundation there maybe no place for the pests to get in. Ants are pretty invasive though. I sounds like a gamble to try an untested method for your 1st build. How much would it add to the cost to follow what they suggest and elevate the shed? If the cost is too much more I might be more inclined to take the chance and try to build with out the extra cost. I am pretty cheap though, :lol: You would hate to be penny wise and dollar foolish, ;) sorry that I can't be of more help. I am sure that my advise is worth exactly what you pay for it. :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Oddmar » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:33 am

Thanks for replying guys...

I'm building an elevated floor 12x12 shack like everything else is built here, up on blocks...i'll put a RMH in it and it will serve me well enough for this winter.

In the spring i'll build an earth-sheltered cabin with a concrete floor, surrounded with plastic sheeting, diatomaceous earth and sheet tin. I'll insulate the walls with blown-in cellulose, as straw is prohibitively expensive locally. I'll make the walls 14" thick to take advantage of the cool floor.
Darrell "Jake" Jacob, Oddmar on all the forums, KC9PZN to all you amateurs.
Oddmar

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Sounds like you have a plan oddmar. Go for it. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling