Rocket Stove Cooker

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Rocket Stove Cooker

Postby matt walker » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:01 pm

I think those things are so cool. What a great way to introduce people to clean burning.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:14 am

I too love those little stoves. :D There is a thread about them some place around here. I had not know of the ability to generate electricity with heat differentials. It is great technology. I love the idea. They show pictures of people in New York City using them to charge their cell phones during the power outages caused by super storm Sandy. I feel the price is reasonable, I think in the $125 range. They are developing a larger stove for home use instead of just their small back packing stove. I think the larger one for home use will generate a lot more power. These stoves use a small fan to generate the strong up draft that makes the complete combustion of the small amount of wood used. I really do feel this company has developed a great product that uses Great Technology. I want one, but I do not Back Pack, :lol: and I do not own a cell phone, :lol: so my need for one of these stoves is somewhat limited, I am afraid it would be another Toy that I just would never use. ;) and I have enough of those already, :lol:
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:54 pm

I have been looking at a Rocket stove oven that would be outback and able to bake bread and pizza. I thought about a Cobb oven, and I love the idea of a Cobb oven for baking. The time that it takes to warm up a Cobb oven and the wood needed to heat the Cobb up to temperature are the 2 draw backs to that type of outside oven in my opinion. I have been looking at a Rocket Stove Oven design that I really like. It was designed by the same people who 1st designed the 1st Rocket Stove for cooking. They have specs and a full design drawing and verbal description of how to make it on their web site. Here is a link, there are a bunch of different things on their archives, Go to publications and media, Click on Publications and scroll down to Capturing Heat Two-Part 1 Pizza Oven and Stoves with chimneys. It starts on page 12. The pictures of the unit that I really liked are on pages 16 and 17. The quickness of heating up the oven as well as the small amount of wood used are both big plusses as far as I am concerned. What do you guys think of their design? I know it does not have the ambiance that a Cobb Oven would have, but I think I would use it a lot more because of the ease of operation. I am sure it would turn out to be a play toy in the end, I can't see it being used for our normal cooking needs. :lol: That fact is what has been holding me back from making one. ;)

http://www.aprovecho.org/lab/pubs/arcpubs
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby matt walker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:03 pm

It's a neat design Guy. I'm going to toot my own horn a bit though, and say I believe my oven on top of a baffled barrel is my favorite rocket oven design. It heats up really fast with a small fuel load, has adjustable temperature control, is really simple to build, and can be used to heat seating with the waste heat if desired. There's a lot to be said about the difference in flavor of foods from a "black oven" versus a "white oven" as well. I'm in the black oven camp, personally, which my design does.

Here's the one I built for a weekend event. It's just the idea, it could be dressed up in any number of ways. This shows the workings though:

matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Does the smoke and flame actually go up into the cobb oven part in your design? In that article about the different stove designs they do talk about the difference in the 2 type of ovens and they do give the edge to the " Black Oven " , they just felt that for the difference in speed and fuel used their design had some real advantages. The Bread Snob might detect the difference, but I don't think my Grandkids could tell the difference. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby matt walker » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:34 am

Yes Guy, there is a hole in the top of the barrel, with an adjustable baffle. In that way one can control the temp of the oven while the fire is burning.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Here is a video of a guy who made a Rocket Stove Kitchen with 2 burners and an Oven with an additional burner on top of the Oven. The oven is like yours Matt with the heat, and flames going directly into the bottom of the oven with a clay pizza stone kind of a thing that he fired himself diffusing the flames around what ever you are baking. He also made a 2nd oven that he gets hot enough to work as a Kiln to bake ceramic items. I think he said he had it to 1200* F. The technology that he uses for the stove top cooking is exactly the same as my small cooker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VypiS5X31aA

If you were planning on doing a lot of outside cooking I think this set up with a counter top and roof over your head would make cooking much more enjoyable. Keeping the rain, wind and sun off you makes being outside more enjoyable.
pa_friendly_guy

Postby Lollykoko » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:40 am

Thanks for the video, Guy. I passed it on, since Charlotte has been wanting a portable oven using rocket stove technology.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:27 am

I am glad that you enjoyed it. :D
pa_friendly_guy

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Here is a site that gives a lot more detail about how they built the Rocket Stove Kitchen and oven. They also give details about casting individual stoves for the home. There is a wealth of information on their site. I believe they were working closely with Haiti after the quake.

http://www.rechoroket.com/Home.html
pa_friendly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling