Rocket Fire Pit and Outdoor Kitchen

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Rocket Fire Pit and Outdoor Kitchen

Postby matt walker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:01 pm

I thought I'd throw up a couple photos so you guys could see what I built for the event last weekend. I brought the materials, the half barrels already cut, and a trailer full of dirt. It took about 4 hours to set up with a lot of help from one other person, and a little help from a few others throughout the weekend. I took it down by myself in about 45 minutes. It was a great place to hang out at night, at one point I counted 14 people sitting on it! The whole thing was occupied each night, nights were cool but our butts were warm. I cooked bread in the little oven and made deer stew in a dutch oven on the other cooker. It's two stoves, a little efficient one for the oven and the big windowed firepit.

matt walker
Site Admin

Re: Rocket Fire Pit and Outdoor Kitchen

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Nice work Matt. It looks like the bell design for heating the benches is what you are using. I am guessing that the heat rises to the last barrel with the cobb oven on top as well, then exits out the stove pipes at a lower level after it has filled the bell cavitys 1st. When you 1st showed us that design I was not sure how it would work, but after you explained it to us, and showed how well it was actually working at your home I was sold. Great job, I am sure your disply was a Big Hit. :D
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Re: Rocket Fire Pit and Outdoor Kitchen

Postby matt walker » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:53 pm

It's two stoves Guy, the oven is on top of a small firebox rocket stove made of half of a 15 gallon barrel. The big firebox with windows feeds that far bench which is indeed a bell. It worked well, although the bell bench was slower to heat up than the bench that was set up as a flue. It was actually really interesting to have them side by side all weekend to compare. Last night I rebuilt the outside stove here at home since I had disassembled it to bring some parts to the event. I set the bench up as a flue this time and it is exhibiting really good performance. Quick to heat up.
matt walker
Site Admin

Return to Heating and Cooling