[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Rocket Mass Heater Cast Core Plans

Rocket Mass Heater Cast Core Plans

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Rocket Mass Heater Cast Core Plans

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:51 am

Hi WF. I apologize, I haven't been on the boards for ages, so I don't really know your application, but I think the best way to think about these heaters is much like any other heater. You want to keep a minimum path between combustion and exhaust to ensure efficient operation. Once this is accounted for there is almost endless scenerios for how to extract heat off of it. You can make your "zones" or "loops" quite extensive as long as you afford yourself the option of switching back to a short path when needed.

To simplify, run two T's straight between the combustion and the exhaust with a damper between the Ts. From those Ts do whatever you want. You can open the damper to preheat the output chimney and then close the damper to extract heat through your loop. I'm sure there is a scientific calculation to figure out how to complicate the system and match a length of pipe to a stove diameter, but the aforementioned approached makes the most sense to me.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby wfwarner » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:19 am

this is my first time to post a picture so bare with me if it is a mess. finished pouring it and will fire it up soon. the piece attached to form with screw is a blockout for glass window so I will post another photo when I put the glass in. I am going to just let it burn out with my first burn.
wfwarner

Postby pdk17 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:17 am

Thanks for sharing. I'll be following this build. I thinks it deserves a thread on its own.
Cheers!
Piet
pdk17

Postby wfwarner » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:25 am

[img][/img]
firing this one up tomorrow.
wfwarner

Postby mannytheseacow » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:55 pm

So good to finally see some photos! The mix looks very wet; any cracking problems?
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby wfwarner » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:57 pm

raining today so I might not get to fire it up. the first one I cast using the same mix only has one small crack. this is a very workable mix with extra type n cement added so cracks will be a minimum.
wfwarner

Postby wfwarner » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:56 am

fired it up tonight. all went well
wfwarner

Postby Oddmar » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:13 am

Hey wfwarner, did you see my tips n tricks illustration at
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=632 ?

I'm having a problem finding exposed clay locally (currently visiting my mom in Ill-Annoys) and your castable mix sounds interesting.
Darrell "Jake" Jacob, Oddmar on all the forums, KC9PZN to all you amateurs.
Oddmar

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling