[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - Rocket Stove Pizza Oven

Rocket Stove Pizza Oven

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Rocket Stove Pizza Oven

Postby Myrth » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:44 pm

My Dad was the bread baker, canner of fruits and vegetables, and the one who cooked things like dried beans in my family. At first he too would try out a new skill when no one was at home. But eventually his contributions were appreciated enough that he did about half of the cooking. My mom was skeptical at first but came to appreciate the help. You may have started something similar. :grin: :o
Myrth

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:37 pm

My Dad couldn't Boil water, :lol: So when he retired he bought a book titled " How to Boil Water " which was a very simple, very easy, very detailed cook book for Dummies. He and a Neighbor would each try and make supper and invite the other one and his wife to come and try the food. This sort of went OK until Dad tried to make a Raspberry pastry. He was trying to take the beaters out of the mixer after mixing it up and ended up turning the mixer on. Cut off the tip of his Ring finger. It healed up OK, but that was the end of the Dinners. Some times it good to realize your skill level and your limitations. ;)
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby dave brenneman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:08 pm

dave brenneman

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:47 pm

There is an old picnic table out by the oven. I use it to hold the loaves as they cool, stack the dry wood and papers for the fire, and to hold the timer and any tools I might need for Baking. It is not clean enough to knead the bread and would be hard to clean now because of its age. It would hold a large cutting board or something like that for kneading the bread. That would require hauling all the ingredients out side and back in again. I will think about that as an option. :D I have Baked 4 loaves of bread and 5 Pizzas so far. Everything has turned out very good.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Myrth » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:53 am

I have been vicariously enjoying your pizza oven. I would love to build one.
Myrth

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:07 am

It was a more involved process than I expected to build it. You need welding skills and a way to cut the metal. Ron had 22 hours of work in the oven, stretched out over several weeks which was much more than I expected. We were of course winging it most of the time. The drawing we used was not drawn to scale and many key measurements were missing entirely. Ron complained about that fact a lot, ;) But it turns out most of those measurements were not critical and rocket stove technology is very forgiving. I would recommend making one if you have the skill to weld. We used a plasma cutter to cut the barrels, but you could easily use something else. You need 4 barrels, one with a removal lid for the main oven barrel is preferred, but not mandatory, and one smaller than 55 gal for the oven its self. The other 2 barrels are used as a base and a cover over the top to hold down the insulation. It truly does work well and I have had it over 500 degree, just to see how hot it will get. To bake at 375 degrees you only need 3 small sticks and a hot bed of coals. If you have the skills I would go for it. :D
pa_friendly_guy

Postby Myrth » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:16 am

Hmm. Welding. :o

I think this will remain a vicarious experience. :grin:
Myrth

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:14 pm

LOL, That's why I let Ron do all the work for me. :lol: I have NO skills when it comes to welding. ;)
pa_friendly_guy

Postby Lollykoko » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Guy, the next time you are the big box home store ask if they have any sink cut-outs from laminate counter-top available. That should give you plenty of room for throwing down pizza dough or kneading bread.
Lollykoko

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:53 pm

That is a Good suggestion Lolly. I saved one of those myself when I put a kitchen in, I will have to go down in the basement and look . It should be around some place. :D
pa_friendly_guy

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling