Updated NH RMH build w/PICS!!!

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: Updated NH RMH build w/PICS!!!

Postby mannytheseacow » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:46 pm

How's the heater treating you, Ray? Any luck conquering those high ceilings?
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby rjdudley » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:54 pm

We are love, love, loving our RMH!
We lay on that thing and in about 15 seconds are out like a light. Great for naps :D
We're still in the idea phase of the ceiling. Thanks to many of the ideas here in the forum we think we'll probably create some type of "retractable" canvas ceiling. Something that can be drawn closed during the winter months and then pulled back during the summertime. Truth be told I'm a little concerned about any fabric above the barrel and I'm not really sure how far above is to be considered safe. Those 400-700˚ temps kinda spook me.
rjdudley

Postby mannytheseacow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm really glad it's working out for you, Ray! I find myself falling asleep on mine daily. The retractable tarp sounds pretty promising. I don't think there would be too much to worry about as long as you stay a couple feet off the top of the barrel.
"Knowledge is power. Arm yourself."
mannytheseacow

Postby pa_friendly_guy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:37 pm

I agree, the clearance requirement from the flue entering the chimney to the ceiling is 18". Since the fabric is a bit more combustible than say a plaster ceiling would be, allow for a bit more clearance, but I really don't see the temperatures being a problem from the top of the barrel. I am guessing that you will have several feet of clearance from the barrel to the fabric to get the ceiling height you want. The retractable idea is a good one I think. It gives you the open feeling you want for most of the year. It also allows the heat to raise in the summer.
Never doubt that a small group of dedicated people can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has.
pa_friendly_guy

Location: SW Pa They changed me to zone 6a what ever that is. I still figure zone 5

Postby Bobwieser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:01 pm

What do you think of the Kastolite you used for your build? Now that you have been using your stove is it holding up? Would you use it again? I'm sorting through materials and would love to hear your thaughts. Thanks
Bobwieser

Postby rjdudley » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi Bobwieser, sorry for the delay in answering, but, we've had some tough family issues come up recently.
Anyway, I still love the Kastolite. The stuff is/was damn heavy, but, it seems to be holding up really well. There are places inside the burn chamber which have come apart a bit, but, I attribute that to my lack of good tamping and vibrating when I built it. Matt gave me some good pointers about that and so I'm thinking these points of weakness were just air pockets of some type.
I made mine two inches thick, looking back now I would have gone thicker. At least 3 inches. The reason is that I'd like to keep as much heat in the chamber for as long as possible before the heat migrates out through the walls of the burn chamber.
I'm not sure where you are in NH, but, I'm in Gilmanton and you're welcome to come by anytime and see ours.
Ray
rjdudley

Postby Bobwieser » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:04 am

Thanks for the reply Ray. No need to rush on my account I'm a patient man. Sorry to hear of tough family issues for you. I have many going on as well so I havent done much besides researching castable refractorys and thinking of the best aproch. I'm realy liking Peterbergs Cast bach feed using dense material for the core, still thinking and playing with my out door 8" made of fire brick. I live in Hudson and ocasionaly work in Alton on the big lake and would love to see your set up some time. I take Rt 106 so I probably pass close by you to and from the job. Hope your not aiming that rifle at the door when I arive.
Bobwieser

Previous

Return to Heating and Cooling