[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Permsteading.com • View topic - 900 sq. ft. home heating needs

900 sq. ft. home heating needs

Rocket Mass Heaters, Rocket Ovens, Cold boxes, Solar collectors, etc..
Talk about your projects

Moderator: matt walker

Re: 900 sq. ft. home heating needs

Postby freedomlives » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:33 pm

Or I dunno, if I connect two parts of the overhang...

Here is an extremely crude drawing of my layout. The wall to the left is an outside wall, and I want to minimize heat going to it, so I planned for the barrel (gray circle) to be as close to the heat riser (red circle) as possible. Originally plan was for all the smoke to exist from area A, which has an area of 220cm^2, but now I think if I connect also area B, which should have almost the same CSA as area A, then I'll get 400cm^2 total CSA, though an area that would be hard to access for cleaning out.

The footprint of the RMH is 1x2 meters (3.25x6.5feet). Where the yellow circle is will be a point for the smoke to go up, and then back down another pipe horizontally before going up the chimney, that pipe being in the sort of chair-back that will be formed in the bench. Total exhaust flue length will be about 5 meters (16 feet), including turns. Which is kinda short, but I don't really have much room next to the chimney and I didn't want to put the bench along the outside wall.
freedomlives

Postby matt walker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Your last picture there doesn't show for me for some reason Andrew. I think you can use your original plan. When you get to building the cob base around the core and building the barrel landing, you can make a "gutter" that funnels all the barrel opening except the part blocked by the core/tunnel to the exhaust. It's hard to explain but easy and intuitive to do once you get to that stage. If you do it thoughtfully you can increase CSA at that spot by quite a bit and reduce the pinch entirely.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby 4seasons » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:45 pm

I can't see your pictures either. I use photobucket to host my pics and then use the Img tab to imbed them into my post. I am sure there are other photo hosting sites that will work too.

By the way fireclay contains alumina and silica. It is generally grey in color. Your local clay may or may not have enough alumina and silica to hold up to the heat. My first build fell apart too and I used my local clay as well. I have yet to find some sort of test to figure out exactly what is in my clay so I will only use it to build my temporary experiments.
4seasons

Postby freedomlives » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Clicking that link will take you to the photo. I didn't realize I could not embed the image from it.

I normally put the photos on my webserver, but I'm transitioning between servers right now...
freedomlives

Postby matt walker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Okay, now I see it. On my build I carved away the corner of the core between A and B as well as did the gutter around the whole circumference between barrel and riser, feeding into A/B.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby freedomlives » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:51 am

I'm a bit worried about the structural integrity of the in feed side of the core after moving it inside, that it may have cracked, so I was thinking of leaving the plywood around the core. But now I think I'll try removing it and if necessary just patching the infeed side, so I can dig this trench like you describe.

Well, I'm on my way in an hour to town to get more sand to make cob-- tons of clay around here, but I have to go buy sand!

Thanks for the advice!
freedomlives

Postby rjdudley » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Yeah freedomlives, um, about that "leaving the plywood on…" thing. One picture is worth…

Just sayin'.
Ray
rjdudley

Postby matt walker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:54 pm

Yep, Ray makes a good point there. Don't worry about the cracking. Get it in place and cobbed all around/over it and the cracks won't matter. I've put them in place in pieces and once cobbed in you'd never know.
matt walker
Site Admin

Postby freedomlives » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:20 am

I just did a test, with the core, barrel and everything in place as it will be. The only problem I had (aside from minor Carbon Monoxide poisoning since the bench isn't finished) is that as hot coals built up in the feed tunnel, some pieces would burn up higher and some flames would jump out the feed tube with a puff of smoke. Down lower it was burning fine.

I dunno if this is an issue with the type of wood, or whether at the barrel exit to the horizontal flue its too constricted, or what. I'm uploading a video to youtube and will post it in a few minutes/hour/whenever its ready of how the fire was burning.

Also, obviously, it was a short burn-- 20 minutes or so, and I dunno if the heat riser would be considered fully heated up at that point.
freedomlives

Postby freedomlives » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:00 am

One short youtube video of burn issues:
freedomlives

PreviousNext

Return to Heating and Cooling